Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
16 yo Flatcoat retriever - hind leg issues
MaryAnne0210 posted:
My 16 yo Flatcoat retreiver has been on Metacam and Glucsamine/Chondroitin for years now - his Sr. panels have been good for his age but over the past few weeks he's been having more problems than normal getting up. As much as I don't want to think about it, when is the appropriate time to consider having your pet put down so they don't have to deal with the pain. He's eating pretty normal, still able to control his faculties so this is hard for me. He can be pretty wobbly at times and I'm started putting down rugs for him to walk throughout the house without falling because of the floor being too slick. I've always thought that until he's unable to eat, walk, go to the bathroom that there's no reason to even think about having him put down but I also don't want him to suffer unnecessarily.

Will Draper, DVM responded:
MaryAnne: So sorry to hear that your boy is having a hard time- but I'd discuss this in depth with your vet before considering euthanasia. There may be dietary considerations (i.e. diets w/ omega 3 fatty acids as well as glucosamine/chondroitin) that could be useful, as well as other medications that might help more with pain relief. In addition, you can try booties on the feet to give more traction on slick floors:). If his panels are good, he's eating well, controlling his faculties, and more importantly having more good than bad days, I'd at least have the conversation to give a chance. Best of luck.
Dr. Will

MaryAnne0210 replied to Will Draper, DVM's response:
Thank you, Dr. Will. I have had him on Glucosamine/Chondroitin for a while - my vet told me to increase it which I did. He's currently eating Evo. I have (albeit not recently) been giving him 2 Vitamin E pills - ran out and just didn't get any more - my bad. I'll talk to my vet about perhaps changing his meds. Perhaps that would help.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections