Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Medical Marijuana for dog's hip pain
raraw posted:
On the discussion of treating a dog's pain with cannabis--
I want to tell this story.I am a licensed medical marijuana patient in Wa. state.I went to visit my sister this morning for a while.She has an 11 year old Yorkshire who is suffering from hip and leg pain.I sat on the couch,with the dog on my lap shivering,and I could tell she needed something.They can't give her Asprin,and I advised my sister to not give her Rimadryl because of long term problems.It just happened that I had a joint rolled up of some very potent pot that I laced with some William's Wonder keif.As I watched Sophie struggle,I asked my sister if she wanted me to try to dose her up a little to see if it would work.Within 20 minutes,Sophie was acting like she was 5 years old again. It did help her pain--and her innards won't pay the price for taking CHEMICAL DRUGS. Tomorrow I'm going to go to a local dispensary and buy Sophie a gram of that keif--and that should last a week---about $10. to get Sophie the relief she needs---and to me thats PRICELESS. By the way-for all the naysayers--I use M.M. for a spinal pain issue.My MD had me taking Morphine and then put me on Methadone for pain relief. I was so lost on those drugs--just a shell.I went through HELL withdrawing from that garbage,and now use MM for pain--and I'm not a pain pill junkie any more. Don't let the so called experts fool you.Cannabis will ease your and your pets pain.Dose carefully in small amounts until you can see they are comfortable and that's it.The expert's will warn you not to do this --mainly because this type of treatment IS effective--but there is nothing in it for them.Also,if half the country did this it would hurt the drug manufacturers who make the stuff vets peddle--think about it---and if your pet needs help--give it a try--you may be suprised.. Have a Great Day

Violets_are_Blue responded:
I am glad that Sophie is experiencing pain relief. However, I would like to remind everyone that, in the basic form, everything is a chemical. Water is as much a chemical as the fertilizer in the yard. The entire world is bunch of chemical reactions happening at all times. Even cannabis causes a chemical reaction and is considered a depressant, which is a group of drugs that function by interacting with the impulses of a creature's brain. Certain drugs are safer than others, there's no doubt about it, but to claim that cannabis is automatically better than other drugs simply because it is not a "chemical" drug is a fallacy that really needs to stop because it makes absolutely no sense.

raraw replied to Violets_are_Blue's response:
Hi--Sophie is doing good on her new pain program.I just wanted to take a minute to say that I posted the original in the hopes that somebody's pet somewhere will benefit from this info.I personally lost my very best friend of 14 years last Nov.She was a beautiful German Sheperd.Her hips got very bad,and I had to finally break down and say good-by.I helped her as much as I could with her pain and that was about all I could do for her. I can't stand to see mistreated or neglected animals so I posted that story to help. I never claimed that CANNABIS is automatically the best drug because of chemicals-and I'm not sure how Violets are Blue got that.I can tell you this much if you want to do a little theoretical brainstorming. My Primary Care Physician not too far in the past basically turned me into a pain pill junkie.Most of the time,I couldn't tell you what day it was.If I happened to go out to do something,and got back home,I had a hard time knowing whether it was real or not.I felt like the Michael Douglas character in the movie the game.I knew that if something happened while I was driving,it would be bad. So I'll put it this way.I will guarantee you if we were both driving,you heading south and me going north on the same road and our cars are getting closer,you would rather me have taken a toke or two rather than 60 mg. of Methadone. So for me ,I will now say that YES-Cannabis is a better drug than this crap MD's hand out like candy.I will never take another pain pill unless I end up with some cancer that makes life unbearable.Everyones physiology is different.What work's for one may not work for the other.The same in animals.In the end,I'm just thankful Sophie responds well to this and that her pain is down and she feels happy.That is the main,#1 issue here.

Violets_are_Blue replied to raraw's response:
It may simply be the wording but in the middle of your paragraph, "Within 20 minutes,Sophie was acting like she was 5 years old again. It did help her pain--and her innards won't pay the price for taking CHEMICAL DRUGS."

Just wanted to be sure that everyone is on the same page that simply because it is somewhat natural (cannabis has been modified genetically over the years through breeding and actual genetic modification it's hard to identify the unmodified plants), doesn't mean it's not a chemical reaction.

raraw replied to Violets_are_Blue's response:
Hi--I have to reply once again.I went and visited Sophie again today to see how she is and to drop off more MEDIBLES. I want you to know this tiny dog is still reaping the benefits of this treatment.She is happy and apparently virtually pain free.She gimps because the underlying hip problem will never go away---but the pain is gone. I can tell you are against this--but to each his own. I'm really struggling with what you said(cannabis is SOMEWHAT NATURAL).Cannabis is a completely natural substance that was put on this planet by some supreme being for the human race to enjoy--just like Daisys,shade trees,rivers,mountains,fish,wildlife and on and on. You ought to study a bit on it's history.The hippies started modifying pot plants in the 60's and 70's.They were bringing seed's back from places like Afghanistan,Thailand,Nepal,Morocco and other parts of the world where HASHISH was being made.The hippies loved the pot,but it's hard to grow a 14' plant in a back room--hence genetic engineering.They did this to shrink the plants down to a reasonable size for indoor growing.And I do thank them for that. If you can't identify a 20' Himalayan Sativa from a hybrid 6' Sativa that has been crossed with a short and stocky Afghani Indica then I don't know what to say. On top of that,since you are deadset on defending chemicals--how about what the Chinese did to our pets with Melemine a couple years ago--can you defend that? How about Con-Agra-are you aware of the genetic alterations they are doing to our food supply? You are trying to make it sound as if people are doing to pot plants what big corporations are doing to our food,water,prescription drugs and our enviornment,but it's just not true. And then to another blog who was saying that the long term effect's of giving animals pot for pain.Here's the thing you didn't tell your readers---usually the hip and joint problems our pet's suffer come on at a later stage in life.A ten year old dog who suffers will not start acting like it's psycho from this.Most dogs are like people in the sense that they start reverting back to their puppyhood as they age,like some people go back to their childhood as they age.In my opinion--I will take the wack-a-doodle dog thats a little high--but comfortable,over one that is in pain and misery.I suffered so much watching my Sheperd day in and day out.These things are not only hard on the animal,they can be devastating to the owner--the mental anguish and stress of constantly worrying if your best friend is comfortable enough. Dosing Sophie has eased my mind,I know she is comfortable,and I can rest on that. If your pet needs some help---give it a try--just dose carefully. Thanks--and have a good weekend.I have some mutant plants growing that need some chemicals...

Violets_are_Blue replied to raraw's response:
I absolutely do not care that the cannabis is being used for Sophie. I am happy that Sophie has found pain relief. I understand the actual advantages to using cannabis for pain relief. That is not an issue.

However, you telling me that the cannabis, which has well over one hundred strains nowadays produced by breeding, is exactly what is was when it evolved to become cannabis is incredibly illogical. Genetically modified doesn't mean that a corporation has taken it over and literally messed with its genes. It means that the genes have changed to suit a purpose which is exactly what cannabis, and most other plants, have become. There are strains with higher levels of THC than normal, strains with lower THC, and strains with a moderate level. These did not exist until humans got involved with them. And you stated cannabis has been genetically engineered in your paragraph so I honestly don't see why it being called genetically modified makes a difference.

Nowhere have I stated that all chemicals are good. In fact, I will quote myself where I mention chemicals: "Certain drugs are safer than others, there's no doubt about it, but to claim that cannabis is automatically better than other drugs simply because it is not a "chemical" drug is a fallacy that really needs to stop because it makes absolutely no sense." I'm terribly sorry if you thought I meant all chemicals are great and you should go eat some rat poison. Chemical reactions make the world go round yes. But with life you have death and chemicals can cause both, there's no doubt about it.

If you'd like to view them as 'mutant' plants, go ahead. We all have mutations so I guess we're all mutants. Be thankful of the mutants. Without them, corn would be a tiny, inedible seed case, dogs wouldn't exist, and there would be no blondes around.

fallingfairies responded:
My puppies tail had to be docked due to a bad bacterial infection. He is in so much pain and discomfort. I have done a lot of research about the benefits of cannabis, taken in its many forms. It's amazing what it does do! I use it personally for my own issues and its been the only thing that has even helped. I too have also had a struggle with pain meds and so feel very passionate about any alternative that is natural. I was so relieved to find your posts about Sophie. Some proof that someone else feels that dogs do respond to cannabis and can respond well. So now after caring for my pup he is soooo much more comfortable now! It's helped so many issues he was having with this surgery. I just wanted to thank you so very much for making the time to write about your experience and updating. It has helped me and my puppy!!!! Thank you!!!!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections