Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
How do your dogs react when a storm is coming?
beanie_gene posted:
My 10 year old beagle terrior mix has started to pant when a rain storm is coming, and stays right at my feet or my side on the couch. Never used to do this, kind of cute. Wandering what some of the other loved ones do during the storm.

My 7 year old american bull dog, doesn't do anything but sleep through the storm.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Beanie_gene and thanks for posting!

Dr. Cruz and some of our members recently discussed dogs who are Afraid of Storms . Thundershirts and other things were shared that helped dogs cope better, so it may help give you some ideas.

My Borzoi agrees with your American Bulldog and doesn't care at all about storms. Our Lab looks worried, but since no one else reacts, she just settles down.

Maybe other members will pop in and share their stories, too.

Byroney
Every dog has his day - but the nights are reserved for the cats ~ Unknown

Anon_239022 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Mine hides in the shower.

FrenchBulldogMom replied to Anon_239022's response:
My 1/2 Pug 1/2 French Bulldog hides under the bed (his clubhouse) or under the coffee table. My girl dog is 3/4 Frenchie and 1/4 Boston Terrier. She's not afraid of storms but she won't pee pee outside when it's raining.

nyoka4u responded:
A bomb could go off in our house and the dogs would just lay there. Our English bull dog can sleep through anything, the boxer just kind of looks at us like, "Is this okay?" and then walks away and the American bulldog only get freaked out when the baby yells really loud and high pitched or for fireworks; then I find her in the bathtub. Also the American bulldog HATES to go potty in the rain and get her feet wet. The boxer will go quickly and run back to the house while the English bulldog doesn't care if she's soaking wet because she's too busy trying to eat the rain as it falls.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections