Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
just had our kitten fixed and declawed
kosar76 posted:
my wife and i just had our cat fixed and declawed, and since then she is acting very strange, she is eating but she does not have the energy any more. Is this due to the declawing because with our other cats we never had this problem. I dont want her to be in pain please help

srstephanie responded:
Hi kosar76,

Declawing is actually the amputation of the toes ... roughly equivalent to amputating all your fingers at the first knuckle. I hope your vet explained to you what the procedure entailed before doing it. Most vets advise against it except as a last resort. As you may be able to imagine, it is an extremely painful procedure. I would let your vet know. It may be that your cat needs more, or a different type of, pain medication.

On the other hand, it is easy to jump to the conclusion that the problem is pain from declawing. There is always the possibility of something else, either from the spay surgery (which is abdominal surgery and can be painful for a few days, too) ... or, it may be something completely unrelated. Only your vet can determine if there is some other cause after doing a physical examination and perhaps doing some blood work or other tests. Hopefully it is something minor and will clear up quickly, but I'd encourage you, at least, to talk to your vet. The vets here can give you possibilities but without a physical examination, they can't tell you exactly what the problem is.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Stephanie in Montreal

kosar76 replied to srstephanie's response:
thank you for the reply stephanie, we had to take her back to the vet and he gave her a shot ( mixture of a steriod and antibotic) and after that she pulled her stitches out and now she has to wear a cone around her neck. Coco seems to get better everyday she is eating more and playing with the other cats. My wife and I have 3 other cats and we never expirence this kind of problem. so again thank you for your advice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections