Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Is insect repellent with Deet safe to use on dogs?
aweisberg posted:
Hello,
I went camping this past weekend and used Repel 20% deet insect repellent on my 4 year old Jack Russell Terrier (12lb), only 1 quick spray. The following day, in the middle of night, she vomited approx. 3-4 times, mostly yellow/frothy vomit (resembled bile). She has been acting otherwise normal and no vomiting since, which was about 3 days ago. Is there any way that she could have gotten sick from the repellent? Should we see her vet about this since she appears to be acting normal?

Thank you.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello aweisberg and thank you for posting.

If the product was not labeled "Safe for Dogs" I definitely would not use it on a dog. I would definitely suggest you at least call your vet and touch bases about the incident.

He or she can advise you whether or not your Jack Russel needs to come in and be seen.

Keep us updated on how he's doing,

Byroney
Every dog has his day - but the nights are reserved for the cats ~ Unknown

pilotmom737 responded:
I work for the DEET Education Program, Washington. I just saw your post and consulted with one of our toxicologists. He assured me that licking one light spray you have described from her fur would NOT cause your Jack Russell the problems with throwing up. As a dog owner for many years, I sympathize with your concerns. My dogs throw up frothy yellow when they eat grass, eat sticks (which I try to prevent), etc. For future, do not use DEET on your dog.-- use Frontline or a similar product that you apply once a month. These products are specifically formulated for companion animals. DEET-based repellents are intended for use on the bare skin of people, not other mammals. The product label specifies use of these products. Animal uses are not among those included in the safety and efficacy tests that are required by the EPA for registration. Off label uses such as yours are not a good idea and are discouraged. Hope this information helps. Contact me at 800-789-3300 with questions or concerns. WIshing you aond your pet happy camping in the future. Jack Russells are GREAT dogs!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections