Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
How much benedryl can you give your dog?
beanie_gene posted:
Just a general question on allergies for dogs. Last year we gave our American Bull dog benadryl for his skin allegies. Our Vet says this was ok. How much can we give. We have been giving him 1 pill every 6 hours. Is this too much? He was 96 pounds.

Violets_are_Blue responded:
Dogs metabolize drugs different than humans for the most part and can handle large amounts of some and then not be able to tolerate some of our most favorite. Benadryl is part of the handles pretty well group. The general rule of thumb for dogs 1 to 2 mg per pound 3 times a day. Adult capsules/tablets (make sure it is plain Benadryl) come in 25 mg strength. This means he can have from 4-8 tablets every 8 hours. I would definitely start with the lower dose and she if it helps.You can adjust as needed for him as the year goes on.

beanie_gene replied to Violets_are_Blue's response:
Thanks. It does help, started with 2 tabs, now giving 3 and that seems to be the majic trick. No more scratching and creating a hot spot. Thank you so much.

GFLRANSOM replied to beanie_gene's response:
Makes perfect sense. I have bred dogs and know that Benadryl is the best first aid for bee, wasp and spider bites. Works like magic. (They also make a topical I have also heard that it is good first aid for rattlesnake bites while you're on the way to the vet for IV anti-venon.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections