Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
eye discharge
adz0115 posted:
Yesterday my dog had some green discharge coming from his eye. It was late in the day and I was unable to take him to the vet. I called the emergency animal hospital and they told me wash his eye out with saline solution. I chose to get a gentle eye cleanser and washed his eye out with two drops. Today he doesn't have nearly the same amount of discharge, if any at all. Any suggestions on what it might be? Should I still take him to the vet even though it looks pretty normal?

Will Draper, DVM responded:
If it's one eye, I'd still recommend going to the vet. Discharge from one eye can mean there is some sort of injury or foreign body (both eyes, it's usually some irritation or allergic response). At least get it checked out- it may be fine.
Best to you...WD
Dr. Will

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections