Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
ear mites
goffyone posted:
my little weinner dog mixed with beagle has ear mites that i can get reid of i have used acouple different things and nothing seems to be working. does anyone have any ideas of what to do. i am planning on taking her to the vet but i have to wait about month before i can take her again and i have been fighting this problem for about two monthes now.

Home2strays responded:
its very uncommon for a dog to have ear mites, not rare but very uncommon. More likely its an ear infection or even could be one of the manges or scabies before ear mites.

Will Draper, DVM replied to Home2strays's response:
Well put, Home2Strays. Almost unheard of for older dogs to get mites...much more of a kitten/feline issue. My first thought, as mentioned, is a bacterial or yeast infection. Something you can affordably do prior to a vet visit, goffyone, is to get a good ear cleanser from a reputable pet store. Get something with a drying agent and a good acidifier like propylene glycol or salicylic acid. Be sure to get to your vet asap. Best of luck!
Dr. Will

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections