Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dr. Will, I found a kitten about 4 wks old.
MissBracey posted:
There are several outdoors cats that we feed daily. Yesterday I found a kitten that had been crying for a while with no mother to be found. I put her in a box with some soft cloths to keep her warm and left her outside all night on the bench. This morning my mother brought her into the house because it was very cold and the temp is going to be in the 30s tonight. I've dealt with cats before. I have not dealt with kittens this young.
What can we feed her? How do we feed her? I only had some nonfat dry milk so we tried giving her that with a dropper and baby bottle. Can we give her a bath? What type of wash or shampoo can we use?
I just need a little help and a timeline for what to feed her with regards to her age. Any assistance that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Will Draper, DVM responded:
MissBracey: Great to keep her warm. You want to keep her slightly warmer than room temp- around 75 degrees is good. You should be able to get a good feline milk replacer from your vet or pet store...much better option that non-fat milk (which kittens and cats have a very difficult time digesting, and could cause diarrhea with subsequent dehydration). You want a milk replacer because it will have colostrum, which they would get from mom's milk (and helps protect their immune system). There should also be a small kitten feeding bottle available as well. She should be fed every 2-4 hours (3 average). You also want to stimulate her urination and defecation by rubbing her bottom with a warm, soft cloth (will stimulate the actions). She should be feed for about 4-5 weeks, or until her teeth start coming in. Then, you can move her over to a soft kitten food gradually.
Bath the kitten with a little mild dishwashing liquid, and if there are fleas just use a fine-toothed comb (or buy a flea comb from the pet store).
Hope this helps...keep me posted! Thanks for the note!
Dr. Will

MissBracey replied to Will Draper, DVM's response:
Dr. Will, Thanks for your quick response. I found some KMR online and will order it along with the feeding bottle.
Three questions -
1) Which is better the KMR Complete Powder (mix with water) or the ready to use?
2) Is it okay to feed her the liquid from canned tuna? My mother was trying to give her this earlier.
3) Can I use Ivory Dish Detergent to bathe her?
Thanks again.

Will Draper, DVM replied to MissBracey's response:
1) both products are fine- the powder may go a bit further for you, but it's your preference.
2) I'd stay away from the canned tuna liquid- all of that sodium isn't good for a young kitten.
3) Mild Ivory dish detergent should be fine- use caution around the eyes and mouth.
Good luck!
Dr. Will

Good Morning, Dr. Will,
While in her area, Sweetie, the kitten, cries until she goes back to sleep. Is there something we can do to comfort her? I tried picking her up but she seems to cry even more. I put a bear next to her but it didn't really help either. Is crying her fear of being abandoned and rejected by her mother, a search for her mother or something else? Also, she sleeps for extremely long periods so I have begun to wake her up to make sure she is fed. Is waking her for feeding the best way to keep her hydrated?
Thank you for your time.

MissBracey replied to MissBracey's response:
Good Afternoon, Dr. Will,
Just wanted to let you know that Sweetie died in my hand on Saturday. It is very unfortunate that her respiratory system wasn't developed enough for her to live and that I didn't recognize her sneezing wasn't just milk getting in her nose but a serious illness developing. I'm very, very sad about this.
I learned an unfortunate lesson about babies. I vow never to keep a baby more than 48 hours before getting him or her to a vet for a full checkup. I don't ever want this to happen to another baby nor do I want to experience the devastation of the death of another baby.

Thanks for all of your assistance. May the Lord bless and keep you.

Good Afternoon, Dr. Will,
Just wanted to let you know that Sweetie died in my hand on Saturday. It is very unfortunate that her respiratory system wasn't developed enough for her to live and that I didn't recognize her sneezing wasn't just milk getting in her nose but a serious illness developing. I'm very, very sad about this.
I learned an unfortunate lesson about babies. I vow never to keep a baby more than 48 hours before getting him or her to a vet for a full checkup. I don't ever want this to happen to another baby nor do I want to experience the devastation of the death of another baby.

Thanks for all of your assistance. May the Lord bless and keep you.

Will Draper, DVM replied to MissBracey's response:
MissBracey- so sorry to learn of Sweetie's passing. I know you did what you could, which is all any of us can do. Thanks for the kind words, and take care.
Dr. Will

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections