Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Fair to dog?
Lablover18 posted:
I have a 6 year old male chocolate lab. I have had him since he was a puppy. For the first two years he was with my husband and I. I got divorced and moved back home. Now for the past two years it has been just him and I. The problem is that I work two jobs.
Two days a week I am away from home about 13 hours. I let him out at lunch. Two other days I am away about 11 and I again let him out at lunch. I try to walk him and play with him when able.
Is this really fair to him? I don't have a fenced yard so he can't freely run and be crazy.
Should I continue this pattern or is this unfair to him?

Take the Poll

Is it fair to let a dog alone for 12 hours a day?
  • No, find more time for him.
  • No, find him a new home that has time for him.
  • Yes, he is used to it.
vote
View Poll Results

Home2strays responded:
I think if hes acting fine with it then its ok. If hes not being destructive or messing in the house. Usually by 6 a lab is starting to calm down. I would maybe leave a few toys out for enrichment, like a kong with treats in it he has to work for or if you could get a friend to swing by some time during the day for about 30 minutes to break his day up.

peachychick54 responded:
I know how you feel. I have a dog that also stays in the house by herself for about 9 hours a day 4 days a week. Sometimes I feel guilty because I know that ideally you shouldn't leave your pet for more than 4-6 hours. It's good that you go visit him on your lunch break. Another good tip is to maybe leave the radio on for him, something soothing like classical music. It can help with separation anxiety. And always make sure you leave out plenty of water.

DogsInnofMontrose responded:
I run a doggie day care facility. It is a wonderful resource for busy people with energetic dogs. Do you have a doggie day care facility in your community?

If not you could look into a dog walking service.

AnnaElyse responded:
I know exactly how you feel. I adopted my beautiful girl, Snowie, when she was just two months old. When I went to high school and college, however, I was insanely busy...

Despite making time to walk her and whatnot, I truly didn't spend enough time with her. One afternoon, we found a stray, and we named him Rex -- we kept him, and he was Snowie's long time companion until about a week ago (when we had to put him down).

I know handling two dogs is difficult, but I've found that if you can't be there with them, find someone who can! A new buddy is the best cure for loneliness. My dog never gave me that, "Well thanks for hanging out with me today. NOT," look ever again! Instead, she was too busy playing with Rex!

doglover100 responded:
Perhaps a key question is where does he stay during those 13 hours? If you let him roam in your home, then he's probably ok. If he's living in a cage for that long then things are not fair. Remember, dogs can sleep for long periods of time -- just make sure that your time together is well used!

-- John Andersen

Labrador Behavior Problems? Free mini-course teaches how to solve the most common problems...
http://labrador.behaviorproblemssolved.com

tinydogsrule responded:
It sounds like you love him very much and are doing the best you can for him, and are willing to make more time for him whenever possible. I think dogs love routine, their moms:) familar places and home. As long as he is let out at lunch time, gets played with, loved, walked and treated with kindness in his familiar surroundings it is very fair for him, and much better thanbeing in a new place. A day a week at doggie day care is a great suggestion someone had, breaks things up and gives him a play date!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections