Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Australian shephard mix and diarrhea
marieh9 posted:
Hi our 7 year old australian shephard mix is having chronic diarrhea. She has no fever, is drinking and running around as usual. She started getting diarrhea after we gave her new dog biscuits. We didn't realize this was the problem for a few days. Then we stopped the biscuits and withheld food for 24 hours and then fed her only 2 bags of instant plain oatmeal. She didn't soil in the house that night. The next night we gave her two bags of oatmeal twice and she had a formed stool in the morning and then diarrhea at night but she didn't soil the house. This morning we bought pumkin and gave her the same amount of oatmeal plus about a quarter cup of pumpkin. I hope she will get better after this. She is up to date on vaccinations, and heart worm test and pills and advantage. She has had a recent physical and she was ok with that too. She has no fever either. She stays in the backyard all day and comes in at night so she isn't exposed to much. Should we take her to the vet anyway or does it sound like she is starting to recover? Also, should we change her dog food as well. She has been on it for 2 years. Any suggestions on what to feed her while we try to get her back to normal. We can give her hard boiled eggs tomorrow if she is ok tonight. When do we start incorporating dog food kibble back into her diet?
thanks,
mkh9
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Puddintat123 responded:
I would recommend that you take her to the vet. She could have a parasite such as giardia that is zoonotic, meaning that people can get it. Even if it isn't a parasite it is a good idea for her to get checked out. I wish you luck.

marieh9 replied to Puddintat123's response:
Puddintat123,
Can you get an amoeba even if she is only drinking fresh water and isn't exposed to any fresh water source?
thanks,
mkh9

Home2strays replied to marieh9's response:
would think its more along the lines of that she as a sensitive stomach and the cookies probably caused a light case of gastroentiritis, not a parasite. Usually 72 hours of a bland diet (plain oatmeal or white rice and boiled chicken are great)the third day mix half and half bland diet/ and her normal food, the next day 75/25 and then only her food. She sounds like a dog where you are going to have to be careful about switching her food if you do decide to do that but I dont see a reason why if it was the dog cookies that caused the problem.

Anon_1066 replied to Puddintat123's response:
at least bring in a stool sample

marieh9 replied to Home2strays's response:
Dear Home2strays,
Thanks for your information. So, far we've given, pumkin, oatmeal and a hard boiled egg. She seems to be getting better (more solid stools) but still is soiling in the house at night. Next we will add chicken to give her more protein. We'll try to follow your amounts to see if that helps. Since she is having more solid stools do you think we have to take her to the vet or at what point do we do that? Also, she is due for her twice a year stool check up.
thanks for your help.
mkh9

marieh9 replied to Anon_1066's response:
Anon_1066,
We'll bring in the stool to check for parasites just in case.
thanks,
mkh9

marieh9 replied to marieh9's response:
Home2strays,
Also, how much chicken do you give and how much oatmeal or rice? She is 65 lbs Australian Shephard mix. She normally eats a cup of kibbled for the day and if she eats more she gets fat!
thanks
mkh9

Home2strays replied to marieh9's response:
I would do 1/2 a cup of white rice and a few peices of the chicken, if she does fine with that you can give her more after an hour.

Thank you so much! I hope she gets over this soon.
mkh9

peachychick54 responded:
Give her plenty of water to prevent dehydration. Sounds like she's getting better, so as long as she's not dehydrated or acting lethargic I don't think it's necessary to take her to the vet. Of course you could always just call the vet and see what they suggest.

marieh9 replied to peachychick54's response:
Hi Peachychick54,
Well it is 2 1/2 weeks now. We are giving her chicken, rice and a tablespoon of pumpkin. She hasn't soiled in the house at nice for 4 days but her stools are still very soft (not liquid but mush) but it is intermittant some days ok some not more often not. She is drinking a lot and we gave her pedialyte and she is still active. Not sure about the vet. We made an appointment but don't know if this just takes a long time or when to give her kibble again.
thanks,
marieh9

Hi again,
I thought I would give an update because my dog is still sick. We took her to the vet and he gave her metronidazole, probiotics, and Imodium. The CBC, chemistry profile and O&P were negative or normal. She was doing ok but still had watery diarrhea. We gave her the metronidazole and she kept throwing up. So we had to stop it. We have had her on the Imodium now for 5 days (extended because of the throwing up). She is drinking lots of water and eating 3 onces of boiled chicken but still the diarrhea. We went back to the vet and did an Xray and it was normal and they gave her a deworming powder called panacur to see if that will help. So, wish us luck were going to try it tomorrow.
mkh9

marieh9 replied to marieh9's response:
Also, today the vet called and said that she may have a cyst or a urinary tract infection and maybe to do an ultrasound. Can you treat for a cyst on the kidney anyway? This is getting expensive. Also, she didn't have diarrhea last night so we didn't give the deworming pill yet and she is perky today. Any suggestions?
mkh9

phoenixsong61 responded:
Definitely take in a stool smaple just to rule out any kind of parasite like coccidea or giardia. Do not do a sudden change of food! That will only increase your problems. If she never had a problem with her normal food, keep her on it. I found with my dogs that if they just had an upset stomach, we could give them plain white rice and chicken for up to 72 hours and then begin incorporating their regular food by 1/4 pr day until they were off the chicken and rice. But since she is outside all day, there is a slight chance she may have picked up coccidea if she has any contact with wild animal droppings in your yard. I hope she is back on her feet soon.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections