Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
dog eats own BM
snick440 posted:
anyone know what to do to stop a dog from eating their own poop? It's toatally disgusting!

DianeR01 responded:
There are some chemical preparations available at the pet stores, have you tried any of those?

My only experience with this was a puppy eating tortise poo. Someone suggested adding veggies to the puppy's diet because the tortise is a vegetarian and perhaps there was something in the tortise diet which the puppy was missing in hers. It helped but the puppy still goes for tortise "treats" from time to time.

Keeping the yard clean also helps.

good luck

MaryAnne0210 responded:
I completely agree - it IS disgusting. I bought some stuff at the store that you add to their food - didn't work. Was given advice to put cayenne pepper on it - but you've got to stand with them to ensure they don't and then you might as well just pick it up which is easier in the long run. I've heard it can be caused b/c the dog isn't getting enough to eat - I wasn't so sure about that but after a while my dog has quit eating his but it's an on again/off again thing. Good luck!

peachychick54 replied to MaryAnne0210's response:
My dog likes to eat cat poop. I've heard that it's because something is probably missing in their diet, like iron or protein. Make sure you feed your dog high quality/high protein food.

chillinwithamoose responded:
Put some pineapple in your dogs food, it makes the poop bitter and they wont want to eat it good luck! i hope the problem has gotten better already though!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections