Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Cat food
Anon_153925 posted:
Hin Do unthink feeding my cat natural organic food can contribute in her being healthy and less prone to common cat illnesses? I want to switch her diet to ziwipeak or blue buffalo Some say been it's expensive it's worth it as she will b healthy

Tkx

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Anon_153925 and thanks for posting about your kitty!

This article on Cat Nutrition talks about dry food, wet food, and holistic diets, and may be helpful to you. It discusses what you should look for in a balanced diet.

Just remember that no matter how wonderful a diet is, if your cat doesn't like it, then it's not the right one for him or her. You may want to start with small amounts of the foods you're interested in and see how well they appeal to your cat. Talk to your vet if you have any concerns.

Hopefully some of our great members here can share their experiences with various cat foods with you.

Let us know what you decide,

Byroney
Every dog has his day - but the nights are reserved for the cats ~ Unknown

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Organic or "natural" cat foods can be good diets as long as they're complete and balanced for cats. Look for the acronym "AAFCO" on the label which signifies it meets minimum requirements for adult cat nutrition. Since most of these diets have little in the way of preservatives, buy them in small quantities from a large supplier that sells a lot of it. Incidentally, cats are obligate carnivores so there is no vegetarian diet appropriate for cats.

Will these diets keep your cat healthier? No one knows, but they're definitely much more expensive!

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
When we adopted our cat from the shelter, she was getting sick from the food they had her on. We switched her to ProPlan for sensitive stomachs. The main ingredient is lamb. She ate that type for about a year and now she can eat the regular ProPlan for indoor cats. The main ingredient in this food is chicken. She is very healthy and hasn't thrown up since we swtiched her from Science Diet. Maybe she had an allergy.

Blue Buffalo's main ingredient is always meat in all of their varieties.

hattiedean replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
A mom cat and her kittens adopted my patio a little while ago, and naturally I've been trying to leave some food and water out for them as often as possible.
Hcg Slender

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections