Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
waking up too early
betzz904 posted:
My basset hound Molly who is 3 years odl has the bad habit of waking me up at 5:30 in the morning. My husband leaves for work at 5:10. I tell her no, then I walk her back to her bed. She will sleep for another hour then come back and get me up. I thought dogs were supposed to sleep and get up when I get up, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep her in her bed until I am ready to get up?

peachychick54 responded:
My dog (coincedently also named Molly!) does the exact same thing. My husband gets up for work at 5am and after he leaves she bothers me until I get up. So, I get up and feed her and then let her outside and after that she will eventually go back to bed. She used to get up around 7 but now it's gotten earlier since my husband gets up earlier. So I don't know why since she's not used to going outside at that time. But if your Molly has been on that schedule for a while, it might just be that that's the time when she needs to go out to do her business or that she gets hungry. Let me know if you find any solutions so I can get some sleep too lol.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections