Toy Poodle - Skin Bumps/Chewing
debbie48245 posted:
I have an 11 year old toy poodle who gets these "bumps" on her body that she chews and end up looking like the picture attached. I took her to the vet the first time it happened and they didn't know what they were so they put her under surgery and removed them to biopsy. They came back fine, non-cancerous but they still didn't know what they were. She has them again and seems to be biting them constantly til I'm worried about infection. Before I take her back to the same vet or research a different vet, I thought I'd see if anyone could help here. I looked online and found something called Dermactn, not sure if my dog's problem is the same, hard to tell from pictures. Has anyone seen this before or can offer any advice that will at least help me go prepared to her next vet appt. I need to help her, she seems miserable.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Howdy Debbie48425 and thanks for posting about your Poodle.

WebMD has this article On Dog Lumps and Bumps that may be helpful to you. Perhaps you want to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist if he or she is stumped?

Best wishes and let us know how your sweet Poodle fur person is doing,

Byroney
Every dog has his day - but the nights are reserved for the cats ~ Unknown

jonnyKO responded:

I have a toy poodle and she has had these bumps in different areas all her life. To me it looks like pimple or really bad ingrown hair follicles. Once a few years ago I was playing with her in backyard. She fetched a ball and jumped up in my lap, as I adjusted her on my lap I noticed something squirt to ground. (I know it sounds gross, so sorry!) Anyway as I checked her skin I noticed the latest bump she has happed drained and was bleeding very slowly. It was not a pretty sight send she had a hole in the center of the bump for awhile. However after I cleaned it and drained whatever puss I could, the wound healed and you can't even tell it was there. Well, flash forward to now. She has another bump and it is hard and needs to be drained, but I just can't bring myself to make the incision to drain it. The first time it popped and began to drain on its own. I sometimes refer to these bumps as pimples because they seem to drain just like the pimple humans get, just on a larger scale. Pretty icky stuff!

jonnyKO replied to jonnyKO's response:
Sorry for all the grammar errors guys, here's a revised version.

I have a toy poodle and she has had these bumps in different areas of her back most of her life. To me they look like blackhead pimples or really irritated ingrown hair follicles. This one time, a few years ago, I was playing fetch with her in backyard. She had a good size bump similar to the one in the picture on this webpage. Anyway she got the ball and jumped up in my lap and as I adjusted her on my lap I noticed something squirt and drop to the ground. (I know it sounds gross, so sorry!) Anyway as I checked her skin I noticed the bump had drained was oozing a little blood. It was not a pretty sight. However, after I cleaned it and drained whatever puss I could, the wound healed and now you can't even tell it was there. Well, flash forward to now. She has another bump and it is hard to the touch and needs to be drained, but I just can't bring myself to make the incision to drain it. The last time she had one this bad it popped and began to drain on its own. I sometimes refer to these bumps as pimples because they seem to drain just like the pimples humans get, just on a larger scale. Pretty icky stuff!