Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
feline demodex mites
toriree posted:
One of my cats was serioulsy in distress trying to get at itchy spots on his back and tail area. I took him to the vet. She commented on the "waxy" brown stuff in his ears and took a smear. After a few minutes, she came back in and said he had demodex mites. and that was probably what was causing his skin itchiness. He wasn't bothering with his ears at all, but he did have some areas on his skin that were kind of scaly looking and could be scraped off. (she didn't test those). Her treatment consisted of a once a week bath with BPO-3 for 6 weeks and three consecutive doses of Revolution. He still has brown waxy stuff in his ears and he still has those little scaly spots on his skin. Whenever he has a bad itching day, I spray his hair with Humilac which seems to calm the itch. His treatment started October 13.
Has anyone had a cat with demodex and if so, what treatment did you use? What else can you tell me that would be of information.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Demodex is an organism that typically lives under the skin and is diagnosed by performing a skin scrape. It can cause the signs you are describing. You can learn more about http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1415

Ear mites might be what your veterinarian saw under the microscope. You can read up on this external parasite by reviewing this article
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=664

Since she is still having problems, please make an appointment to have your pet rechecked. You may want to seek a second opinion by a veterinary board certified dermatologist.

Best of luck....
Dr. Bernadine Cruz

toriree replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Thank you. I did take him back for a recheck and she did scrape of some of the scaly skin and did another ear canal exam. She said the ones on his skin were not demodex, but that she saw 5 this time in the ear wax. (She let me see the microscpoe slide the first time and yes, they look like demodex cati). She has consulted the dermatologist at the nearest university's veterinary clinc/hosptial. They were of no help. She is going to contact the research dept to see if maybe they will have more information. In the meantime, she has me cleaning his ears daily, followed with an ear flushing lotion and putting vaseline in the ears to perhaps try to suffocate them. (And 1/5 of a 12.5 mg dose of genereic benadryl 1 to 2 times a dayfor the itching -which I cannot get down him)
I am thinking about having him examined by another veterinarian, but there are no certified dermatologist within 4-5 hours of here.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM replied to toriree's response:
I am so glad that you took your kitty back for additional care. Dermatology can be one of the most vexing aspects of veterinary medicine. Your veterinarian sound marvelous in that she is willing to consult with colleagues and try to help your baby.

Keep us updated and happy holidays...
Dr. Bernadine

toriree replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Yes, she is very good and I hope we can find something to help. I have been looking online and think I might try a product called Defendex. It might help him a little bit.
Thank you for your concern and happy holidays to you as well.
Tori

ronny1503 replied to toriree's response:
I had a cat with earmites, and was given drops to put in her ears. It seemed to take forever to get rid of them. It turned out she was getting re-infected from something in the house. I had to leave her at the Vets for a week while we did a whole house clean-up and sanitizing! But that did the trick. It also helped my nasal allergies, which I thought were caused by the cat.

Clyde1995 replied to ronny1503's response:
I treated my cat's ear mites using olive oil and a cotton swab. I was so careful not to hurt the bones in the ear. It took three or four treatments and there is no more scratching, shaking the head or black waxy mites. Previously I tried zinc oxide cream with an antihistamine, but it was ineffective.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections