Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Staring spells....
besmith75 posted:
We have a 1 year old (roughly...she was a rescue) chihuahua/daschaund mix. I was told by the vet three months ago that she has a minor heart murmur (which I have heard myself), but that it is nothing to be alarmed about as it is common with these breeds. Lately, she has been having these 'spells' where she just lays and stares off into space (she is a very sweet little girl and absolutely loves being with her 'people' and yet it is almost impossible to get her attention when this happens). Sometimes she will shake like a chihuahua (which she normally does not to). Las weekend she was laying on the floor, on her side, and about every 15 seconds her midsection would convulse. This lasted for 1-2 minutes. Afterward, she was very shaky and confused and she was a little off balance (especially her back legs). Within a matter a minutes she was back to her old self wanting to be held and play. She has even avoided food during these times. Is this something I should be worrying about? Or am I being an alarmist?

peachychick54 responded:
It might be some sort of mild seizure. I would let your vet know and see what they think.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections