Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Cat rubs its butt on floor
    tedsthe1 posted:
    My cat has rubbed its butt on the floor (carpet and wood) for about 3 years now. He does this primarily after a bowl movement, but sometimes just seems to be scratching his butt. Our vet has checked for worms and has checked the rear glands. Nothing. Any ideas?? Have you seen this in cats before???--Thanks--Tedsthe1

Mama2littleBoy responded:
    Sounds to me like your cat needs his anal glands cleaned.

Drew_Weigner_DVM_ABVP responded:
    If a cat scoots on the floor, it means his butt itches! Seriously, that's exactly what it means. Your veterinarian's job it to find out why. There are several causes, including parasites and anal gland issues. Other common causes are cystitis (urinary tract disease) and diarrhea (should be obvious.) Some cats just do this because it feels good. One of my cats started doing this when she had diarrhea and continued for a while after it cleared up. I had to convince her this was not acceptable behavior. Lastly, a very common cause of this in cats who have or had fleas is tapeworms. This particular parasite rarely shows up on diagnostic tests. There is an injection that is very effective that won't harm a cat who doesn't have them, so it can be given to see if it resolves the problem. Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP The Cat Doctor

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
    I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    33 of 48 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections