Spaying a 3 year-old dog
CPRA4001 posted:
Hello!

My doggy Anita is going to be 3 years in April and I've been reading that female dogs should be neutered; actually, we should have done that before her first heat apparently.

Well, we didn't do it then and I'm not sure if we should do it now. I've been reading and hearing that is the best option, but I wonder if spaying adult female dogs is safe, and if it is necessary. I don't mind taking care of her during her periods and she is always under supervision, so we are not going to have unexpected puppies.

I think that surgery is a major procedure and it seems cruel to me to do a surgery on Anita without a impending reason.

PLEASE, I need orientation about this.

Thank you so much!
Claudia.

MaryAnne0210 responded:
Of course your first and best advice should come from your vet. I think any dog, if you're not intending to ever breed her and I'm guessing you're not, should be spayed/neutered. I have never heard about any adverse side-affects resulting in neutering adult dogs, only positive. Check this out: http://www.snap-sandiego.org/spay_neuter.php
Good Luck!

dianer01 responded:
Hi,

I agree with Mary Ann, by all means seek the advice of a vet, but that said, I have had an adult dog spayed without incedence. She was a pit/mastiff mix between 2-3 years old and had had at least one litter. We were not interested in breeding her or dealing with her going into heat so we had her spayed. It took her about a day to spring back, and we never had to deal with any of the issues of a dog in heat, nor did we have any medical issues as she aged. She lived a happy, healthy life of about 14 years. (we are never sure of exact age because she was a rescue.)

CPRA4001 replied to MaryAnne0210's response:
Dear Mary Anne: Thank you so much for your answer. I asked the vet, but it seems to me that that's the standard recomendation, so I wanted to hear some experiences from dog owners. And thank you for the link, it was very helpful. I think I'm going to do it, I hope Anita won't be in too much pain

All the best!

CPRA4001 replied to dianer01's response:
Dear Diane: Thank you so much for telling me about your dog and all the info. I appreciate dog owner's stories and I'm convinced now I'm going to do it. To tell you the truth, I wanted to hear more becasue it seems to me that's just the standard recommendation. But I guess it's the best for the love of my life I'm goign to start programming the surgery. Thanks again!

Take care!

limichelle replied to CPRA4001's response:
Hello! If you are not going to breed her then the best recommendation I would give is to have her spayed. She is still young she will do just fine!

My father refused to spay our springer spaniel who lived to be 13 years old.He did not want to put her through that operation. The last few years of her life she developed breast cancer and uterine cancer. Dad did get a total hysterectomy done on her and she lived a few years after that. The vet did say that had she been spayed this may not have happened.

I also fostered a lab that was 7 years old that I had spayed at that age, she also did fine.

Right now I have a 10 month old maltese that I had spayed at 5 months old at the vets recommendation. She bounced back very quickly and I know it is the bast thing I could do for her future health.

Hope this helps! Your baby will be fine!

CPRA4001 replied to limichelle's response:
Thank you so much! It helped indeed! I really appreciate your answer, specially the story about your springer spaniel. I'm goign to program Anita's surgery and I hope she bounces back as quickly as your maltese did You are right: I have to think is her future health.

All the best!

PuppyBather responded:
Good luck with Anita's surgery! You are making the very best choice, not only for her physical health, but for eliminating any chance of bringing an unexpected litter of puppies into the world. I am a shelter volunteer and have seen dogs much older than Anita get spayed/neutered, and they do just fine. As long as your vet does not see any medical issues that would prevent Anita from going through surgery, she will pass with flying colors. I would recommend being home with her the day you bring her home after surgery. Follow your vet's instructions, and Anita will be bouncing around in no time.

dkburwell responded:
I just had my female spayed and she will be three in March 2012. It made a huge difference in her behavior. She was very aggressive with my older female and not very active. She plays with the older one and the puppy. She still has her moods but nothing like before.

CPRA4001 replied to PuppyBather's response:
Awww, thank you so much! I was definitely convinced by all the lovely comments and Anita's surgery is actually tomorrow Friday 17th. To be honest, I'm nervous, but the surgery is going to be in one of the best vet clinics in the city and the blood exams turned out perfect. We have to take it 2 hours before the surgery to do the anesthesia tests and the rest of the previous preparation.

And I'm going to do what you say: I already took the day off to be with her the whole day.

Thank you!

CPRA4001 replied to dkburwell's response:
Thank you for telling me about your dog. It's nice to hear good stories about the surgery to calm my nerves. But I sure hope Anita doesn't change her mood with the surgery (which is actually tomorrow)! She is the sweetest doggy! And she is playing all the time, she has like 20 stuffed animals. She actually has one that is a doggry just like her when she was 2 months old

All the best!

lbferguson replied to CPRA4001's response:
Dear CPRA4001,
Good luck today, Friday the 17th, with little Anita and her surgery. I agree with everybody else - spaying her will make you both happier for a long, long time. I was actually fortunate enough to 'watch' my little girl get spayed - it was a fascinating procedure - and I would do it again! My Izzy, Lexy, Zeke and Beeswee all sprung back beautifully from his/her procedure and lived long and happy lives! I hope the two of you have a great President's Day holiday!

PuppyBather replied to CPRA4001's response:
Hope all is going well with Anita. Please let us know how Anita--and you--are doing. It sounds like she is in very capable hands. Congratulations on being a very responsible pet parent.

CPRA4001 replied to lbferguson's response:
Thank you so much for your kind wishes! To be honest, I cried a lot yesterday and there was a time I was regreting the decision of having Anita spayed... It was so painful for her that it was killing me. The doctor had to put an extra pain shot for me to be able to bring her back home. I didn't sleep last night taking care of her because she couldn't sleep, move, she didn't eat... Honestly, it was heart-breaking. I couldn't have done what you did! Watch her surgery! I guess I just don't have the gut

Fortunately, today she is much better. We already took her to the doctor in the morning and he said she is doing pretty well. I'm giving her the anti-ingflamatory drops and antibiotics pills and she has another appointment with the doctor in a week. I'm so happy she ate today! I hope tomorrow she feels better.

Thanks again and Happy holiday for you and your baby too!

CPRA4001 replied to PuppyBather's response:
Dear PuppyBather,

You are so sweet, thank you so much. We are doing well today, but yesterday it was very difficul. My poor baby was in a lot of pain and I felt awful, so helpless... Please read my previous answer to lbferguson.

But she is much better today and the doctor saw her this morning and said she is doing well.

Thank you, but to be honest, Anita has 3 parents I graduated from my second master's degree in 2010 and I'm broke now, so while I bounce back, I'm living with my parents, so we are always taking turns to not let Anita alone. I'm actually from (and I live in) Bogot?, Colombia, but I lived 2 years in Cambridge, MA.

By the way, Anita went to my commencement in 2010 and stayed there for a month, and just her ticket was USD 400. Add to that international permissions and other stuff. But she was the star in my school HAHAHAH

Take care!