Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
$2500 and Up for Labs I Can't Afford...
larsstarscanary posted:
My cat has something in her sinuses--I could be a tumor. I took her to the vet twice. She gave my cat a liquid antibiotic. Problem is that my cat won't eat because she can't smell, but she is hungry and wakes me up to feed her, though she can't eat. Pee, but no poop.

She breathes laboriously. I'm going to put her in the bathroom again and turn on the shower to make it steamy in there again. I think it gave her a little relief before. The doctor also gave me some nose drops after she flushed one nostril. She also gave me some medicine to stimulate her appetite--If it works.

I can't afford $2500 and more for labwork. I've made $15 fish soup for my kitty, stinky fish soup, hoping she could smell it. No such luck. She looks gaunt. I put warm compresses on her head and everything.

Is this the end? Do you have any suggestions that would get my cat to eat again? She's almost 14 years old. I've had her since she was about 6 to 8 weeks old. She's a sweet little thing, though she's been using her claws a lot to bat my hand away when I try to apply or give her medication.

Please say prayers or send well wishes this way. Thank you so much.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
There are so many things that can cause nasal congestion in cats. While a primary bacterial infection is rare, antibiotics often provide some relief by treating a secondary infection. There is a long-acting antibiotic injection that can be used instead of oral medication. It will also help to use a humidifier or vaporizer. If the symptoms don't improve in 48 hours or if they recur, there's some other underlying problem that needs to be addressed.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections