Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Puppy that shakes
boxerpu posted:
I have an 11 week old puppy. When she lays down she will shake/tense up about every 3 breath. Once she falls a sleep she doesn't do this anymore. She only does this when she is laying down. It just started a few days ago. It looks like she is tensing up from her tail forward not so much a shake.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
There are so many questions I would like to ask....where do you live and how cold is it in the home? Could the pup be exposed to drafts and is merely exhibiting shivers from being cold? Is the pup eating normally? A weak pup, one that is not thriving could be shivering because of general malaise (feeling lousy) and have potentially serious underlying medical issues. My best recommendation would be to have your pup thoroughly examined by your veterinarian. Bring your concerns to his/her attention and if you can capture a short video clip of the pup while it is trembling can be very helpful.

Best of luck...
Dr. Bernadine

KorriB replied to ermajarrellm's response:
Hello there, My 12 wk puppy is a small breed. She had an episode of shaking and becoming limp in her sleep. I took her to the vet and she had a blood sugar of 28 (it should be 80-100)!!! I was given some nutrical to give her to keep it elevated throughout the day. He also did blood work to check liver problems among other things. I recommend taking your puppy to a vet. Good luck!!!

Also, if you must wait for a vet a appt, then give a finger tip of honey before bed and when they seem lethargic.

Hope this helps

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections