Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Vectra 3D
An_243624 posted:
I have never put flea treatment on my dog but with the winter being mild this year, I caved and put a tube of Vectra 3D between his shoulders! He just turned a year old and weighs 11 lbs. a little over 12 hours later, he went into some sort of "state". He couldn't move at all almost as if he was paralyzed and when I would force him he could only make it a few steps before falling over in a frantic scratching, rolling, spastic fit as if in pain! I couldn't force him to eat, drink or use the bathroom in the short period between his fits! In panic, I googled the product to see that these seem to be the normal reactions! I called the company to file a report and was asssured by the vet this thing never happens and no others have had this problem and washing him in dawn and a benadryl will solve the problem! 7 hours later along with an increasing fever and sweats I call my vet to seek further treatment and was told that it was insecticide poisoning and they don't use this product, to throw it away and monitor fir seizures that had been reported from this product! 2 days from application, 36 hours after the symptoms developed, 2x a day Benadryl and prednisone, he finally feels well enough to eat and drink but is still groggy! DO NOT use this product or be sure if you haven't had problems in the past to be sure and monitor carefully for side affects!

Sonnenberg responded:
Oh my God, this is so disturbing to read, as i just treated all 3 of my dogs [2 LG, 1XLG> with Vectra, that i purchased in the fall of last year, and everything seemed fine at first... As with you @ 12-16 hours later, i was woken by my 11.5 yr old, who never wakes me in the night - she had to go out, but she was swaggering like a drunk dog, her back end suddenly w/o coordination... This morning, My youngest [2.5> had NO ENERGY WHATSOEVER - couldn't even hold his eyes open all day - and being a young Husky, this is highly abnormal for him... When i remembered giving each their treatment yesterday evening, given the ticks are rampant already, i called their 800#, since there was no warning of any symptons even remotely like these ... My oldest has a some trouble getting up on our wood floors, but manages to walk fine once standing.... About 24 hrs later, she completely fell over while trying - over and over - to make her back legs do what she wanted, then i saw that she had peed on the floor where she had been laying, and was continueing to pee while trying to walk toward the bowl of H2O... She peed a steady stream of droplets all the way there and back. About 30 min later, she was trying again to get up to go outside, flopping like a fish out of water - and there another puddle where she had been flopped over - and the trail out the door with her [she has NEVER lost bladder control EVER before today..!>

I'm so upset right now, because i am not at home as i read your entry above, therefore can not monitor my eldest [11.5 yrs old> until tomorrow. However i found this web site tonite b/c i took my youngest with me to monitor while at work - which is what the vet tech suggested @ VECTRA, this afternoon... "No need to be alarmed", he said, and assured me that these are not symptoms he has heard of associated w/this product>... Yet while here at my job, now @ 30 hrs after applying the stuff, his nose is running, and he is panting as if hyperventilating, for 5-10 minutes at a time, which is why i suddenly had the bright idea to google sie-effects of this stuff.

i used this product in the fall of last year, on at least two of them, without any noticeable symptoms, so i have been recommending it to everyone, given the added benefit of repelling mosquitoes... i purchased these 3 vials 4-5 months ago - i wonder if that makes any difference?

No scratching or itching by any of them - just a complete "lifelessness" to all 3, but with the outstanding added symptoms mentioned above.

i will post again when i know more... Thanks so much for sharing..!

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
I am so sorry to learn that your pet had an adverse reaction to a product that I have prescribed on a routine basis. Vectra is typically a very safe and effective product but like anything that we take ourselves or we administer to our pets, there is always the chance of a idiopathic reaction. Idiopathic is one of those words that always makes me want to slap my forehead when it occurs. You have no idea that it is going to happen....you have done it...given it...friends have used it...you get the idea...just something in the individual has a response that could not be predicted.

I am so glad that you were being proactive and addressing fleas and ticks. I have heard numerous news reports suggesting that the insect count is going to be huge this Spring and Summer.

I hope that your pet is feeling better as of this time.

Dr. Bernadine Cruz

agincourt replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Great to see expert input on this topic. Thanks Dr. Cruz!

Vectra 3D seems to get a lot of negative Internet reports, especially relating to smaller dogs and exotic breeds. However I have used it for almost 2 years on my German Shepherd Dog (6 yrs, strong healthy female) on advice of our vet (20 years experience). Results have been positive.

We live in Florida (mosquitos and fleas) but travel frequently to Indiana (heavy tick, mosquito and fly area) and Colorado (ticks, mosquitos). We also use Interceptor for parasite control.

Even though Frontline worked well for controlling fleas and ticks, she was miserable from getting bit in the ears and face by gnats, horseflies (Indiana) and mosquitos. Vectra seems to effectively repel these pests.

Perhaps this is due to use of Dinotefuran as an anti-flea ingredient instead of Fipronil (Frontline) or Imidacloprid (Advantage)?? (see www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2 2094&aid=598 for breakdown of active ingredients in all of these products)

As Dr. Cruz says, individual reactions can surprise, and if your dog has reacted negatively then you should cease use. Personally, if I had one of these small or exotic dogs (Shih Tzu, Yorkie, various terriers etc...) I might avoid Vectra. I would certainly discuss with my vet and ask what symptoms to be on alert for.

But I would hate to lose this good product which has greatly improved my dog's and others quality of life because of web postings. Persons with positive experience seem to seldom bother posting comments online.

bobber42 responded:
we have three dogs and been using vectra 3d for at least 2 years. all three dogs were ok with it. the side effects were very little. The smallest dog is a mix breed(who knows), the second dog is a boxer, the thrid being a german shepherd. the two smaller dogs had some skin rashes the first time of use. the larger dog (german shepherd that weighes 110lbs and is about 40 inches at the shoulder has not had any el effects. Humans worry what we put on our pets but dont worry what we put in our bodies. Dogs dont smoke nor drink . Than we go to the doc to get drugs that we are not sure where they are made nor are they the meds we need.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections