Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    comatose sleeping
    jselleck posted:
    My husband and I have a 10 year old neutered male domestic short hair that has a sleeping problem. Seems that lately he's been sleeping so deeply that my husband can pick him up and move him from one place to another without him waking up. This has also caused a slight inconsistent problem when he sleeps hard. I'm curious as to what might be causing this.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
    Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
    I've heard of sleeping soundly but this just doesn't seem appropriate. As pets age, their hearing starts to fail and they do sleep more (sounds like my aged mom). Being able to pick it up without wakening it is not typical. Pets can develop bladder incontinence (I think that is what you were trying to say) for a number of reasons. The aging process can cause the muscles controlling the flow of urine to weaken and the sound sleeping causes further relaxation and they wet the bed. Bladder and kidney weakening can also exacerbate an aged bladder. Diabetes, liver conditions and infections can lead to pet that drinks more and urinates more. I would strongly recommend having your pet examined by your veterinarian. A general blood and urine test may be just what the kitty needs. In the mean time, try putting on of the adult incontinence pads where the cat likes to sleep.
    Best of luck...
    Dr. Bernadine Crz

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
    Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    35 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections