Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
comatose sleeping
jselleck posted:
My husband and I have a 10 year old neutered male domestic short hair that has a sleeping problem. Seems that lately he's been sleeping so deeply that my husband can pick him up and move him from one place to another without him waking up. This has also caused a slight inconsistent problem when he sleeps hard. I'm curious as to what might be causing this.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
I've heard of sleeping soundly but this just doesn't seem appropriate. As pets age, their hearing starts to fail and they do sleep more (sounds like my aged mom). Being able to pick it up without wakening it is not typical. Pets can develop bladder incontinence (I think that is what you were trying to say) for a number of reasons. The aging process can cause the muscles controlling the flow of urine to weaken and the sound sleeping causes further relaxation and they wet the bed. Bladder and kidney weakening can also exacerbate an aged bladder. Diabetes, liver conditions and infections can lead to pet that drinks more and urinates more. I would strongly recommend having your pet examined by your veterinarian. A general blood and urine test may be just what the kitty needs. In the mean time, try putting on of the adult incontinence pads where the cat likes to sleep.
Best of luck...
Dr. Bernadine Crz

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections