Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Sick Dog, PLEASE HELP!!!
Anon_127663 posted:
I have a 2 year old female Great Pyrenees Siberian Husky mix. The past few days she has been sick. The first day she got sick, she got sick twice in the morning, once at night, The next day, I took her food away and didn't feed her for 24 hours. Then, we started giving her hamburger and rice, 1-2 tablespoons every 2 hours, and gradually gave her more during the day. As the amounts got bigger, we mixed in dog food. This seemed to work for a day, then, she was sick again. She was fine yesterday, then today a 3:30 this am she started coughing. I took her down for a drink but she didn't drink. She stopped coughing and went back to sleep. Then, this morning, she started coughing again, and threw up. Then she went outside and threw up from coughing only a little more.

Please do not sit here and hound me for not having taken her already. We were trying to get her better from advice we got from our old vetranarian we had with a different dog. I'm trying my best to do what I can. I'm trying to find a reasonable priced vet who is close by, but wondering what I can do in the mean time. She doesn't have a normal vet, she's not seen a vet since 2010. Please do not hound me for that either. Money is tight, vets are expensive.

Will Draper, DVM responded:
While no one here would ever "hound" you, Anon, if your dog has been having these issues for more than 48 hours it is very important that she receive medical attention as soon as possible. You've done just about all you can do at home. I assume she is spayed- if she is intact, the symptoms could be secondary to a uterine infection, which requires immediate attention. If she is spayed, it could be something viral, bacterial or parasitic. All of these possibilities are going to require the intervention of a veterinarian- and they will probably want to do some lab work (fecal test, blood work, x-rays to start). There is really no magic answer we can give you here at this point...I wish there was. Check with humane societies in your area- they can almost always work with you based on income. Also, don't be ashamed to talk to your old vet- they may be willing to work with you. All the best to you and your gir- please keep us posted.
Dr. Will

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections