Skip to content

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page:

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at

Includes Expert Content
    Dog Eye allergies?
    mrshoro posted:
    My 2y/o boxer mix has been having a red gooey eye. Is there any home treatments that I can try? Both me and my Hubby have had increased allergies symptoms the last few weeks due to everything being in bloom here that way I'm thinking allergies.
    Will Draper, DVM responded:
    MrsHoro- the concern here is that, if it's one eye that is affected, it could be secondary to some injury rather than allergies. Regardless, rather than try a home remedy I'd strongly recommend your vet checking his eye(s) out. It won't hurt to use sterile saline (which you can get from the pharmacy OTC) to flush and clean the eye, but the description of "red gooey" in one eye leads to the possibilty of some sort of corneal or conjunctival infection. Keep us posted...WD
    Dr. Will
    mrshoro replied to Will Draper, DVM's response:
    Thank you. We have been flushing her eye with saline. Its no longer red just pink and the goo is very much reduced. We will continue to flush it over the weekend and then decide if she still needs to be seen on Monday.

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
    Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections