Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dragging bottom
NagyJ25 posted:
My pitbull/lab 5 year old has been dragging his bottom for the last 2 weeks. He has done this before but only for a short period of time. In the beginning, his rectum was very red, however, that went away and he has been licking and licking it, therefore, making it looked inflamed. There does not seem to be an odor, so I don't believe it's his anal glands. I can't tell if it's just inflammed simply because he licks at it, preventing the inflammation from going down or if there is something more serious. He goes to the bathroom as regularly and seemingly painlessly as he ever did.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Hopefully the discomfort that you are describing has completely resolved and/or you have taken this pup to your veterinarian for an exam. You are correct...it could be the anal glands. These glands can become inflammed, infected and can even develop cancer. The gland will occassionally rupture and this is very uncomfortable when it happens.

A pet may also have an itchy bum from food allergies, diseases of the tissues around the rectum and immune disorders. Please do not ignore this condition. Make an appointment to have your pet examined.

Dr. Bernadine Cruz

NagyJ25 replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Thank you very much for your response Dr. I did take him last week and it does seem to be an allergic reaction. He was given a shot, a steroid, and given anti-inflammatory pills and antibiotics as well, which he is still currently on. Also a topical ointment, however, this was for the ears the vet said can also be used for his rear end.

We are monitoring his progress.

Thanks again!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections