Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Hair loss in young Shetland mixed
nacox posted:
My dog is about 1 year and 3 months old, she's a Shetland Sheepdog mixed with a Rat Terrier (sheltie the dominant features). We've noticed some hair loss in patches on her hips and tail, and they seem to be getting bigger. My mother told my husband it's probably hotspots and we got something for her at a local pet store but it didn't help. It's just hair loss and she itches it a lot, but there's no swelling, redness, irritation, etc. Any tips on what this might be and how we can help her?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
nacox-
You don't say where you are, but in the NYC area we are experiencing an early spring and with that early allergies. Last week alone 3 of my cancer patients had urgent visits and all turned out to be hot spots from allergies. One dog had fleas (already!) one dog had a secondary bacterial infection and one a secondary yeast infection. Time to head to the vet's office to get this problem sorted our.

Ann Hohenhaus

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections