Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Muscle Loss between eye and ear
cncrvctm72 posted:
I would like to get you opinion on this strange occurance on my dogs. I have had one dog that had it on both sides (that is now deceased from throat cancer) and now another dog has it on one side of her head. You know she is blind on that side and her eye just rolls around in its socket. We are now cleaning it daily, to keep infection out of it. Our vet stated that the muscle loss is due to blunt force trama - she lives in a fenced yard. If this is true, I have an idea of what happened, but cannot prove it.
What can you tell me about that kind of muscle loss and how long does it take for the muscle to atrophy - hours, days, weeks, months? How painful is it? I think the other side is starting to do that and I would like to know if I need to have her put down (if she is suffering) I have a picture of her if you would like to see it.
Any information you could give me would be very much appreciated.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
There are numerous reasons why a pet may start to lose muscle mass on the head. There are some special blood tests that can be performed to see whether or not your dog has a condition known as masticatory muscle myositis...the muscles responsible for chewing are affected but can cause muscles of the head to atrophy.

How quickly the muscles will atrophy depend on the age of the pet and general health. If you have ever broken a limb and it was in a cast, once it is removed, the muscles of the limb usually have decreased in size and strength...for your pet it can take weeks.

Whether or not your pet is in pain is a question you and your veterinarian need to determine. Does your pet seem comfortable? Is it eating normally? Will it still eat treats?

I would strongly recommend revisiting your veterinarian and discuss your concerns with him or her.

Best of luck...
Dr. Bernadine Cruz

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections