Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Feline renal failure
tessiecat posted:
My cat Tess was diagnosed with renal failure recently and switched to K/d diet but she refuses to eat it. Ive tried mixing in with her fancey feast but no way.She also has a problem with her anal glands getting impacted every so often. So we have increased her fiber by eating Friskies Indoor Select. My vet also said to combine with a senior diet soft food but I havent heard of any. Could someone make any suggestions? She has an elevated BUN OF 52 and elevated creatine but electrolytes are normal and so is the thyroid. She loves to drink her water. I just need another suggestion of a senior diet wet food to feed her? Thanks
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Renal disease is all too common in older cats. I am sorry to learn that your cat is also affected. What we want our cats to eat and what they will eat are often not one in the same. Several pet food manufacturers make diets that are considered renal (kidney) diets. These are usually increased in the quality of the protein and decreased in its quantity. Iams, Royal Canin and Purina all make these specialized diets. You might try going to their websites, searching for the particular formulas and then finding a veterinarian in your area that carries the food. Some distributors will drop ship food to your home. If your cat is super picky, you can go to and search for home made diets.

Best of luck...
Dr. Bernadine Cruz


William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 48 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections