Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Older Cat Needs Medical Check...Suggest Financial Assistance?
Anon_182844 posted:
Hello. I have two questions. My older cat seemed to have some sort of seizure. He was sleeping very soundly when I sat down next to him. I've done this many times but he jumped up from a sound sleep as if he had been stung by a bee, jumped off the sofa shaking, breathing hard and lost some urine. I moved things away from him so he wouldn't get hurt and sat with him with my hands gently on him to let him know I was there. After he came around a bit, I wrapped him in a towel, wiped him off. He was a bit confused as to what had happened to him, still breathing rapidly but came around. It took a few hours for him to get back to himself but didn't want to walk past the place where he had whatever he had. Could he have had a dream or been startled somehow? I'd rather like to think this is what happened. He trusts me and runs to me when he is startled.

I do want to get him checked out. I am on disability, food stamps with a very limited income. I've heard of assistance for people with limited income. Luckily he's been in good health. Would you know where I might start looking for help?

This has shaken me up so I hope it makes sense.

Thanks for any information you can give. Really be appreciated.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
From your description, it sounds as though you may be correct, that your cat is experiencing a seizure. I am so glad that you want to have it looked in to and a trip to your veterinarian is best. Hopefully you have a relationship with your veterinarian and can call him/her and explain your financial situation. The practice may also be able to direct you to an animal assistance group in your area. You might Googling animal assistance groups in your area or you might want to contact your local animal services for other suggestions.

Best of luck...
Dr. Bernadine Cruz

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections