Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Cat with Diaherra??
Mandi_moo1982 posted:
My 1 yr old female has had diaherra for a few days now and she had a little blood in it. now she went from having both to just little blood to now diaherra without blood. I don't have the money to take her to the vet so if anyone knows any thing I can do for her to help her get better...on a better side she is still playing and running around the house and she is still eating and being really loving. I know that is a good sign but I am still just worried.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Trying to decide when a pet needs to be seen by a professional can sometimes be difficult. Thankfully your cat is still feeling good. I am always concerned when there is blood in the stool. It may be an indication of internal parasites, it could be a condition such as inflammation of the last part of the GI tract, colitis. Some cats eat items that they shouldn't...string, rubber bands, pennies...you get the idea...and this can also result in GI upset. Knowing whether it is a totally indoor cat, up to date on vaccines, on monthly heartworm and internal parasite preventives, has there been any change in diet or treats and any history of dietary indiscretion would be helpful. You can see there are so many questions to consider. Please take your cat and a sample of the stool to your veterinarian...this is the safest.
Dr. Bernadine Cruz

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections