Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
I put my dog down three days ago & iam wondering did i do the right thing?
nelly9492 posted:
Hello everyone,and thank you for taking the time out to read my post. So around 2 and a half months ago I noticed my dog acting a little strange like he was dizzy,kind of stumbling around like he was drunk,his eyes almost looked glazed over. At first i just thought he had a cold & maybe it made his natural clumizness worse. He did get better i thought. Then one day we were out side and he colapased and had a siezure they said they were going to do some blood work & some other tests,also they said that he had a mass that burst and they removed it and sent it to the lab. While i was still waiting to hear from them, i noticed that he seemed as though he started to have more and more of these bad symptoms like he had another siezure,vomiting, it looked as though 1 side of his body was limp somtimes he would look at me as though he was terrified he started thowing up atleast 1 time a day he was sleeping more and more he would cry when i barley touched his ears or just when i would pet him. It was almost like a switch would go off and on and whenever that switch came on he was very ill. On mothers day i noticed he was doing a wierd head tilt that i had never seen him do. He couldnt even get up & walk to the bathroom. He couldnt even stand. And when he was laying down i noticed he almost was shaking like he was cold but more like a tremor. I had to carry my 100 pound American Bulldog outside because he couldnt go to the bathroom by himself. I took Cooper to the vet on Sunday & the vet suggested that i put him to sleep she said they can run some tests but to be honest she didnt think it would have helped,she said i could take him for a ct scan and mri,she said that it would be 2,000 dollars,me and my family have fallen on hard times i dont have that kind of money. Because i was afraid that his life was going to be miserable & i thought he probably would of had no independence left and i felt so sorry for him,i had never seen a person or animal as sick as Cooper my dog was. So i decided to put him to sleep. I lay awake every night and cry, i feel as though i should have ran more tests i should have found a way to come up with the money. The vet called me yesterday & said on my answering machine that the mass they removed was cancerous i tried to call her back but havent been able to get a hold of her. Is there something else i could've done?should of done? Its driving me crazy.Oh and another thing he lost 20 pounds in a month he was almost 5.

cindigal responded:
Dont beat yourself up about this. You did the right thing. Judging the way your dog acted the last days, it was the humane thing.The poor thing was in pain, the way the he looked at your eyes...he was trying to talk to you. Dont think one more day about the "should ofs" cause that will drive you crazy. We all have said that in our life times...believe me....Ive been there so many times. Said that the same thing....should i..??. You can go back....only forward. You have fond memories and please remember the good times.

cindigal

nelly9492 replied to cindigal's response:
Thank you. I appriciate you reading my post and for your advice. Your right the should ofs will drive you crazy. Idk i guess iam just sad & feeling guilty because i have never had to make that kind of decision in my life. I just miss my best friend. And your right he looked at me as tho he was terrifed quite often. Thank you so much Cindigal bless you and your family. You ever had to deal with somthing like this? I was just wondering,what helped you cope? Everyone keeps telling me i'll feel better in time. But i dont think so. My name is Janelle nice to meet you:)

cindigal replied to nelly9492's response:
I didnt experience that myself but my sister had a Saint Bernard that she had for over 10 years. Her name was Brandy. She was such a joy for her and her husband and was playful as ever and the family loved her too, especially me because I loved animals. She developed muscular and stiffness in joints where she couldn't even walk sometimes. We would walk her and at the end she would walk very slow and we had to hoist her hind legs up the two steps up to the house. She developed other symptoms and my sister knew it was that time and it was sad time for everyone. She mourned over her Brandy but time heals and so will you get over yours in time.

Lifesgr82day responded:
Questioning whether you did the right thing is part of the greiving process. Don't second guess yourself. You had a special bond with Cooper that lasted 5 years. Cooper was hurting and even if you spent the $2000 plus the cost of any treatments you don't know if he would have gotten better,. We have a 10yr old sheltie "Harley" 2 weeks ago my daughter found lumps. The vet gave us the bad new- lymphoma. We're giving him medicine to help keep the lumps down, but it won't cure it. We could put him thru Chemo($$$$$) but that's not a guarantee either. I've seen what Chemo does to people (both my parents) there isn't much quality of life. So we will have to decide when it's time. I can only say I won't let him suffer. He is our 3rd rescue dog, I've gone thru the I should have done this or that. Think about the times when Cooper made you smile and laugh it's the best way to pay your respects to your best friend. For myself, I believe all dogs go to heaven.

Anon_30962 responded:
Nelly, I also had to do this in April for my 10 yo golden retriever. Her symptoms were very similar to your dog's symptoms too. When she was unable to get up and walk I rushed her in to a 24 hour vet where they tried to stabilize her. She had a CT scan that determined she had a mass and they could not stop her seizures. They told me that she likely would never walk again and that her neurological status would just continue to deteriorate. I too had many "what ifs" about making the decision but I know in my heart that I couldn't bear to watch her suffer. I cried for a week after she died and I miss her dearly. She was a wonderful dog and my best buddy. Please know that you gave your Cooper a wonderful life and that you gave him one last great gift by letting him go peacefully. Take good care. In time happy memories will replace the sadness.

nelly9492 replied to Anon_30962's response:
First off i wanted to thank everyone for caring and the wonderful advice. Sorry its tooken me so long to get back to you. You guys are wonderful people and iam sorry you guys seem to been through alot of trumatic events in your life. Somtimes life is really hard to understand but i guess thats when we leave things with god and let him take over. And LIFESGR82 iam so sorry about your Harley:'( all you can do is pray for him and give hime lots of love and kisses:)Watching your dog sick is very very painful. Godbless you and your sweet harley! And i belive all dogs go to heaven as well:)

nelly9492 replied to Lifesgr82day's response:
Anon thank you for your advice. And iam so very sorry about you golden retriever:"( the pain is truely unbarable....Yea and i started researching nerological disorders online and this thing came up called NCL it was a video of a american bulldog with the condition on youtube and it looked exactly what my dog was suffering from there is NO CURE and the american bulldogs that get it eather pass away or have to be put down inbetween 4-5 soooo sad:(my dog was a fifteen dollar dog and i thought he came from the best...it makes me sooo angry that iam sure they knew the parents had it and bred the dogs anyway. He came from buufdogs.com grrrrr idk what to say but i cry every day he was my ultimate best friend i havent hardly slept since he died. I think about him from the moment i wake up until the moment i go to sleep(when i can sleep) oh and my dog was having siezures as well...so you think he had the same thing as your golden retiever? Iam very sorry for you loss you seem like a very nice parson:)so sorry about your baby iam shure shes in heaven and would want you to be happy

nelly9492 replied to cindigal's response:
Thank you Cindigal for you good and sweet advice. So you unserstand that pain of all of this as well it really is awful:( he had NCL along with the cacer that was creating the nerological stuff as well its pretty common in american bulldogs. It makes me so angry that it is common in american bulldogs & they probably knew that the parents had the disease and bread the dogs anyway. He was a 1500 dog not that i care about the money i just thought he came from the best & was healthy. Anyway i really hope the sadeness fades i will never forget that day i put him down so sad he truely was my best friend. I have been sick for a long time and having him in my life made my life have so much more qualty, Thank you so much for being so caring take care.ttys

KOMmom responded:
You absolutely did the right thing. Your poor Cooper had no quality of life at that point and the most humane thing you could do was to let him go to the Rainbow Bridge. I'll soon be facing that with my 14 yr. old Golden Retriever and went through it with my mom and her 14 yr. old Boxer. Please know that he is in a better place and in no more pain.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections