Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
new cat in the house
elena121959 posted:
I took in another cat a week ago (I already have 2). Currently he has run of my living room & the other 2 have their own bedroom. I was hoping to eget a screen door & put it up in place of the regular door so they can see each other w/out the contact; to get accustomed to each other. Would like input from anyone who's done this. From what I can see, there is minimal interaction (under the door); like they're playing 'cat footsie'. Thank you to whoever responds.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Now that they know of each other (and assuming your keeping your new cat) it's time to introduce them. Start by putting the new cat in the other cats' rooms and putting your two existing cats in the living room for a few hours. After than, open the doors and let them find each other. They'll be a few squabbles to determine who the dominant cat will be — this is normal and has no bearing on whether they'll ultimately get along. Until peace reigns in the kingdom, separate them at night. Over time (typically a few weeks) things will settle down.

Two very important points: before you put them together, make sure to take the new cat to your veterinarian for a complete checkup, including Feline Leukemia, FIV, parasite checks, vaccinations, etc. Also, it helps to use a pheromone diffuser to decrease their antagonistic tendencies in the beginning. Your veterinarian should know where to get these.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

elena121959 replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
Thank you, Dr. Weigner! Yes, I am waiting til he gets his vaccines before I let them be together. I just discovered that 1 of my girls is eager to see him (they 'paw' each other from under the door). I will look into these pheromone diffusers.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections