Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
When family tells you ..you are living for your cats....
cindigal posted:
Don't you hate it when non pet people tell you that you dont anything or go anywhere cause of your pets. Hold onto your hats, this is a long story. My sister who lives 4 hours away by car and...by train...2 1/2 trip, and since I dont drive I have to take a train. I went there over Christmas and left my cats home but the plans were already made and my son lives 5 miles and he came once a day to feed them and change the litter. I still was torn leaving them home and I almost cried every night knowing they were alone. The reason I went cause my mom and sister from Florida flew there also and i had a chance to see them. When I came home the lady downstaiirs told me the cats cried every night and were running around ...what can i do about that.

Since that time, my sister asked me to go up there, once in may, cause my other sister from california was going to vist her and I flat out said no.,.I am not leaving the cats alone. I had to hear all the rantings that sisters do. Now, we dont talk hardly untill something comes up and sure enough she emailed me and said my sis from Calif is coming in mid July to see her grandson again and the other sister will ask me again if I can make the trip I am crinching cause I know everybody would get on my back. I dont think I skate on this one, even my son will advise that I shouild really go. He will offer to check on them to get their food for a few days. If I dont go... for sure they will say I am putting my cats before my family. How are your feelings about this...??.

cindigal

An_245920 responded:
I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but my cats come first. Period. Most of my family lives 4 hours away and they understand this. They don't like it, but they understand it. My oldest cat has several health issues, including twice daily insulin injections, and i never leave him alone all night. When I adopted them I made a commitment to love and take care of them for the rest of their lives and if that means I have a 12 hour window to be out of the house, I'm okay with that. I know my 17 year old will not be with me much longer, so all the time I get to spend with him is precious to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but my cats are also family and they need me more.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with hiring a pet sitter. Since your cats don't like to be alone (and most don't), getting someone to house sit, or pet sit, would provide them with the companionship they need and you with some peace of mind.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections