Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
white looking maggot in dog poop
bowievols03 posted:
after picking up my dogs poop after its hardened. i noticed white looking maggot INSIDE the stool. this is only after it has sat there for a couple of hours, fresh poop there is nothing INSIDE. could this be a tapeworm, also i read that it could be hazardous around children. will the worms go underground or something. should i treat my yard.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Bowie...what you saw may have been a maggot. With summer temperatures, flies will lay their eggs on stool and over time they emerge as fat, small, mobile, cream colored critters. You mentioned that you found them on the inside of the stool...this is a bit unusual. I would recommend that you take a fresh stool sample to your veterinarian for analysis. There are several internal parasites that are transmissible to people. The best way to safeguard your family is to pick up the stool daily...keep your pet on a monthly internal parasite preventive and have at least once yearly wellness examinations....and oh yes, follow mom's advice...wash your hands after playing with the pets, especially before eating.
Hope this helps to put your mind at ease...
Dr. Bernadine

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections