Includes Expert Content
white worms in poop
chinesepug posted:
today i got a 6 week old pug and she has had her first shots and been wormed but tonight when she pooped i seen little white worms in it, it was actually quite a few of them, now i am a first time pet owner and never seen anything like this before. she is due for her second set of shots next week, should i wait till then to tell the vet or should i take her sooner, i am very concerned

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Puppies are often born with internal parasites. Many of them they can contract when they are still in the uterus or from mother's milk. The worms need to be at a particular stage in their life cycle in order to be passed in the stool or vomit. They also have to be of an age to respond to the deworming medication. In my practice, every time a pup is vaccinated, we precautionarily deworm the pet. This may result in 3 to 4 dewormings every 3 to 4 weeks. I would recommend that you take a fresh stool sample to your veterinarian for analysis. Be sure to pick up the stool at least once daily to deter the pet from reinfecting itself. Also follows mom's recommendations....wash your hands with soap and water after playing with the pet and especially after cleaning up the poop. For more information go to http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560
Dr. Bernadine Cruz