Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My Sheltie has lost his appetite....extreme weight loss
wdsjr posted:
My 8 years old sheltie has lost his appetite and lost weight. Presently under a vets care, Blood work is fine, x-ray negative, BMs ok.Sleeps alot, probably due to meds.(cyproheptadine, prednisone) Will eat some but at times seems to be disinterested. Doesn't vomit or seem to be in any pain. He shows no outward signs or indication of pain. At the end of my rope.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
How distressing! It sounds as though you and your veterinarian have done a marvelous job of ruling out so many conditions but alas your 'pup' is still not doing well. I would suggest that you discuss the possibility of having an abdominal ultrasound performed to rule out medical conditions that would not be detected with the previous diagnositics. Ultrasounds allow the doctor to look into the stomach, intestines and internal organs....looking for polyps, cancer etc. You may also need to discuss being referred to a board certified veterinary internist for a second opinion.
I hope this helps...
Dr. Bernadine Cruz

An_246582 responded:
My 9 years old Talaii , had this problem 2 months ago. His vet checked him a lot . and finally we found a small gland in his mouth . after surgery , now, he is active and eat like before . It was a problem named, Ossifeing fibroma,
please check his mouth.

wdsjr replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Dr. Cruz, Thank you for advice concerning Wally. Last Friday Wally and I made a visit to our old vet. An ultrasound was perform and the internist discovered a problem with the gallbladder. The vet checked his thyroid and determined a lower then usual number. Thus, Wally is on several meds. His appetite and energy level are increasing. We are hoping for the best. Thanks again for your attention and your professional concern.
Respectfully, Dave Simmons

wdsjr replied to An_246582's response:
I don't know your name, but thanks for your post. Wally was diagnosed with a gallbladder problem and a thyroid condition. The mouth was the first area the dr examined and found no problems. Just needed to thank you for your post and concern. Respectfully Dave

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections