Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Cat scoots butt on carpet and vomits constantly
april_flowers15 posted:
My cat has been scooting his butt on the carpet for about 7 months now. We went and got him examined, he got his anal glands squeezed and that didn't work. He does NOT have worms (got his poo checked). And they also put him on an oral antibiotic for 2 weeks afterward just in case. I gave it to him just as the directions prescribed. After all this, he was down to only scooting and puking about twice a month. About 4 months later I move into my boyfriends house and now he does it almost EVERY DAY. He either pukes or makes a poop mark on the carpet every day. Its so disgusting and I don't know what to do now. He is 8 years old and has NEVER done this in his entire life. Any advice PLEASE?

CMH7054 responded:
I have a dog, not a cat, but she was scooting like crazy and it was a food allergy. It was SUPER frustrating!! I did the same things you did-anal glands, poo check for worms-nope! Search online for "food allergy in cats" and see what you find, and ask your vet for a prescription food to try. And remember-any food you buy can be returned to the store or the vet with a receipt if your cat won't eat it or it doesn't work. So even if it's expensive, you CAN return it. Ask your vet if this could be the problem. I'm going to look right now for some information. My dog is 10 and had never done this before, so I guess they can develop an allergy to food any time in their life.

Violets_are_Blue replied to CMH7054's response:
In response to above, if you suspect a food allergy, find something your cat has never eaten before to try (common cat ingredients would be chicken, soy, corn, wheat, and any fish). Most new commercial allergy diets have one protein and one grain or you could try grain-free if you can't find one with a grain she hasn't eaten. Some commercial diets found in most pet stores are Natural Balance or Blue Buffalo Basics. Iams and Hill's both have prescription diets as well to use.

Another reason for scooting may, strangely, be ingested hair. My little boy knocks his dry food all over the floor and then inhales it. Unfortunately, he also inhales my long hair at times and when it passes, it may cause some discomfort from him trying to get it through (sometimes there's a small amount of feces stuck to it too which makes an even bigger problem). Just a thought.

CMH7054 replied to Violets_are_Blue's response:
Good point! LIke I said, I have a dog, not a cat. )

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Scooting on the carpet means his rear end either itches or hurts. Impacted anal glands are a common cause, as are intestinal parasites such as tapeworms (which rarely show up on stool tests, so it wouldn't hurt to deworm him for this parasite.) Skins infections are an uncommon cause and would be obvious on a physical examination. Rarely, cats with urinary tract disease will do this. It's also possible that he's having difficulty passing stool (like a mild case of constipation.) This is the only one that could cause vomiting as well, which means the vomiting may be unrelated to his scooting. In any event, these are all diseases your veterinarian can diagnose and treat, so he should go in for another examination and discussion with your veterinarian. [br> [br>
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

cynthia_gingold responded:
He may not like your new house. Try giving him an excessive amount of attention. Play. Cuddling. Talking calmly to him. Yelling at him won't help. All he hears is "Blah, blah, blah." did you change litter? Did you change food? Does he know he's still your #1 boy? I've experienced problems like scooter tush AND peeing on the carpet when I changed litter. The minute I went back to the old litter, she was a happy camper!! I know how you feel and it's very frustrating!!! Keep trying!!!

rohvannyn replied to cynthia_gingold's response:
Is there any loose stool involved? You mentioned poop marks on the carpet, which usually won't happen because it generally comes out pretty clean with a normal stool. Maybe he's scooting to get himself clean.

mamagirl3 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Yeppers! my fella only does the scootin' boogie when he has had a soft/loose stool... it is his means of cleaning!

mamagirl3 responded:
Dont know if this will be of much encouragement for you or not really? But our 10 year old fella has thrown up on a regular basis since he was about 2 yrs old. about weekly he will have this spell of heaving everything!! this is NOT to be confused with normal hairball removal!!! these episodes are always followed with a very loose stool that he will assist cleaning with by scootin down the hall carpet! He has been seen by 3 different docs over the years... none of which could find a cause! All of which said if he DOES NOT LOSE WEIGHT... it is NOT a problem! well... for them or him it isnt....but, for me??? it is a HUGE PROBLEM! hahaha i am constantly cleaning! ( he heaves so and makes such horrible sounds sometimes i wonder if it doesnt hurt him?) If you find your cause...please pass it on...would like to ask our VET if it could be a possibility for our baby boy!

aislinn8 responded:
my kitty scoots to wipe .she is not sick .she just does not clean her but in any way.poop stripes on the carpet and i have to wash her but like a baby.i keep her hair very short .fishy foods help with hair balls.also when she is upset she pukes .so high maintainance.i have tried so many things.dry food keeps poop solid and less messy to clean.extra comforting and the understanding that your cat is in a new situation and needs time to adjust.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections