Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    eye infected
    mymamakat posted:
    My three month mixed lab has gotten herself into a fix.Her right eye is horribly swollen and draining yellow/green pus.Yesterday I noticed that thee eye was reddened in the sclera,but did not think it was anything to worry about.Pups get themselves into stuff,but this morning it was so huge and draining.I cleaned it gently with a wet paper towel.It must not be painful to her because she did not react,but I have been crying for her for hours.
    She was to be my service dog when she was fully trained.I am on a VERY limited income,can't afford a vet.What can I do?
    Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
    Hi there,

    I am always worried about eye conditions. Some like conjunctivitis look worse than they might be, and some, like an ulcer of the cornea, are very severe.
    I would encourage you to consider a visit to the veterinarian. There may be some low cost alternatives in your community, and don't forget to consider Care Credit, a form of pet health credit card that your veterinarian might accept.
    I agree that keeping the discharge cleaned away with warm water, I use a soft cotton ball, around the eye being careful not to touch the eye. Particularly if we find the cornea okay, we may use an eye drop or ointment containing antibiotics alone and no steroids. But again, there may be something in the eye that only a veterinarian can remove. See if you can take a peak.
    As you seem so concerned, I would call around in your local community. You might even call your local veterinary association and/or shelter for low cost options.
    I hope you are able to find your dog, and yourself, some relief.

    Dr. Sandy

    Helpful Tips

    How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
    Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 26 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    Learn more about the AVMA

    WebMD Special Sections