Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
eye infected
mymamakat posted:
My three month mixed lab has gotten herself into a fix.Her right eye is horribly swollen and draining yellow/green pus.Yesterday I noticed that thee eye was reddened in the sclera,but did not think it was anything to worry about.Pups get themselves into stuff,but this morning it was so huge and draining.I cleaned it gently with a wet paper towel.It must not be painful to her because she did not react,but I have been crying for her for hours.
She was to be my service dog when she was fully trained.I am on a VERY limited income,can't afford a vet.What can I do?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi there,

I am always worried about eye conditions. Some like conjunctivitis look worse than they might be, and some, like an ulcer of the cornea, are very severe.
I would encourage you to consider a visit to the veterinarian. There may be some low cost alternatives in your community, and don't forget to consider Care Credit, a form of pet health credit card that your veterinarian might accept.
I agree that keeping the discharge cleaned away with warm water, I use a soft cotton ball, around the eye being careful not to touch the eye. Particularly if we find the cornea okay, we may use an eye drop or ointment containing antibiotics alone and no steroids. But again, there may be something in the eye that only a veterinarian can remove. See if you can take a peak.
As you seem so concerned, I would call around in your local community. You might even call your local veterinary association and/or shelter for low cost options.
I hope you are able to find your dog, and yourself, some relief.

Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections