Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Help! My cat peeing bright red urine.
b0bbied0ll posted:
We're pretty sure our 4 year old female cat has a UTI. She was squatting in the house and having only a few drops of clear urine come out at a time. I took her to the vet yesterday and she got some antibiotics. She has been on them for 24 hours now and this morning she is still squatting but now the drops of urine have blood in them. It is quite a bit of blood and the sample I have been gathering for the vet is bright red. I'm taking it to the office tomorrow for a urinalyses but I am really worried about her. She has always been a healthy cat.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
It sounds like your cat has cystitis, the generic term for inflammation of the bladder. Infections are one common cause, but there are many other causes. If she actually has an infection, the antibiotics may work in several days if it's the correct one (a culture and sensitivity will tell you.) But if it's not an infection, the antibiotics won't help much. Regardless, we often add anti-inflammatory medication to the treatment as it gives them rapid relief.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections