Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Grieving dog
An_246985 posted:
2 weeks ago we had to put down our beloved 19 year old cat. We also have a 1 year old kitten and a very active 4 year old German Shepherd. About 10 days ago our Shepherd started acting strange as if he was depressed. He still eats the same amount of food, although he doesn't come running to eat it like he used to. He walks around the house and yard sniffing everything as if he's looking for something. He will still play fetch only he doesn't run back from catching the ball as quickly as he used to. Could he be missing the cat we just had put down. They used to sleep together until the cats hind legs made it to difficult for him to go upstairs at night to sleep.

rohvannyn responded:
First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. No matter how long our friends' lives, it's always hard to say goodbye. I have no doubt that your dog is grieving. He misses his friend too. Just give him extra love and understanding and he'll come round eventually.

My female cat was visibly saddened when her best friend and "adoptive father" passed away, and she mourned him for several days. Interestingly, she also started doing some of the same things he did, even occasionally imitating his meows. He used to always lead me to bed and wake me up, now she has taken on those duties, even years later.

Sometimes it helps to let the animal see and smell their friend once they have died, because it helps them know what happened. I think my female cat did as well as she has because she was there when he passed away. Hope your dog feels better soon.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections