Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Controlling Fleas in Your Home
M Duffy Jones, DVM posted:
Got fleas in your home? That's easy to fix. Just move.

No. Just kidding.

But controlling fleas in your environment can be difficult and typically involves a few steps.

Step 1: Treat your pet for fleas -- and flea eggs -- continually.
Put flea product on all your pets regularly, for several months in a row. I know this sounds simple, but these products will kill adult fleas so that they cannot lay any more eggs. You also want to continue with the treatment for many months in a row, so that any new fleas that hatch on your pet or in your environment will be killed, as well. Check with your veterinarian about which product will work best for your pet. There may be certain products that are safer to use, depending on your pet's health.

Step 2: Treat all your pets.
If you only treat one of your pets, fleas can survive on the pets that have not been treated. Fleas have been around for a long time. So obviously they know how to beat the odds. As you can imagine, unless you treat all of your pets at once, the fleas can re-infest, and it will be extremely difficult to ever completely clear them from your environment.

Step 3: Treat your house.
Clean and wash all beddings or furniture where your pets sleep or spend lots of time. Live fleas drop their eggs in and around where your pets live. So if your pet spends a lot of time on her bed, make sure you wash that entire area. You will also need to clean and vacuum your house, paying special attention to the nooks and crannies under the couch or beneath the tables. Fleas like to lay their eggs in cool, dark places. So clean carefully in those areas. But use caution. There are many products available to help kill flea eggs. And before you use any of them, make sure they are approved by the EPA and that you're following the directions properly.

Step 4: Treat your yard.
Treating the inside of your home is important for getting rid of fleas. But you have to also treat the areas where the fleas live outside. Mowing tall grass and clearing out yard debris is a great way to start. Fleas like to live in moist, darker areas, like under brush, trees, and in crawl spaces. So start with those areas. Many people also treat their yards as well as their fence lines. Again, use an EPA-approved product. And read and follow the directions closely.

Step 5: Continue treatment after you stop seeing fleas.
Many times, pet owners will see that the fleas have been cleared with the above steps. So they may stop using the treatment. But then the fleas come back!

Remember, fleas have been around for a long time, so they are crafty! You have to keep up the preventative treatments for months after you've spotted your last live flea in order to prevent them from coming back. So remain vigilant and assume that fleas are out there even if you don't see them.

With persistence, you and your pets can emerge victorious.

marly26 responded:
The family has always taken care of the fleas' on our Parsons' Russell. The only thing that I find now is he contunues' to chew on his front paws'. His scratching has stopped but there is this continuation of him chewing on his front paws' and thats' the only spot. We have used Advantage on him, his next dose is soon. Is there any reason why he is chewing on his front paws only. Any answer from you would be awesome. I hate to see him doing this so often and cant' figure out why.
Hopefully I receive a reply from you soon. Thanks so much!
Rita

M Duffy Jones, DVM replied to marly26's response:
Sometimes the fleas can start the itching but it may have progressed into either a bacterial infection on his feet or a yeast infection. Both will cause them to continue to itch. Have your veterinarian take a look and get you the right medication to help with either the yeast or bacteria.

Luigi620 responded:
How long must I keep my dog who had fleas (and is now flea free) from my friends' pets who have never had fleas?

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections