Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Vectra
BVSBVS posted:
I have 4 dogs, 2 are ShihTzu's ( 1 is 10 lbs and the other is about 26 lbs) a miniature Pomeranian (10lbs) and a Cavalier King Charles who is about (26 lbs).
My Vet discontinued Frontline as well and is now selling Vectra. There was also a special when you buy 6 months worth you get an additional 3 months for free.
I had no choice but to buy the Vectra as there was no business close enough where I could buy Frontline.
So, my dogs were washed and groomed as usual yesterday and afterwards I applied the Vectra to all 4 dogs as it was their time to have the topical applied. My 10 lb Shih Tzu has been acting strangely, jerky movements and hiding sometimes and at two points he was crying. So today I called the Vet and she recommended I wash him down with Dawn and call the company. I also checked here at WebMD as I know there is no better forum than pet owners discussing pros and cons of many different products. I washed my dog with Dawn and he is doing better. I will wash him again tomorrow as suggested. I am so sorry you lost your Boston Terrier and to all of you who had other serious problems. God Bless you and everyone else who participated in this discussion about Vectra. I do not intend on using it again on any of my dogs.

Take the Poll

Is Vectra a good topical for fleas and tics? Has anyone had problems with this medicine?
  • Yes my small dog had a severe reaction to Vectra
  • No I have a small dog and have had no problems
  • Yes, I have a medium to large size dog and had a severe reaction
  • No, I have a med. to large size dog had no reaction to Vectra
vote
View Poll Results

Mylittlelucy responded:
How is your little guy feeling after his bath? Did you give him benedryl?

Mine had similar reactions, she is 7lbs. She was acting very strange, would walk a few steps, and sit... she would chase herself on circles crying... trying to bit her backside. She was rubbing her back on the rug, crying... and yes hiding trying to get away.

Stay away from K9 advantix also, they have the same ingredient, according to the emergency vet I went to after my vet recommended it. They like it because it repels and not just kills. she had a worse reaction to the k9advantix because I didn't wash it off right away, it was 6 hours later, left hubby in charge of keeping an eye on her... yea we know how that works... She was 10x worse with that, ended up at 2 different vets, the second vet called poison control and says it was permthin poisioning. i used the correct size for her, and even used less than the tube because of her size. but she must have a sensitivity to that drug.

I will NEVER put any type of topical on my little girl again.

Mylittlelucy replied to Mylittlelucy's response:
you can order the frontline online from 1800petmeds

BVSBVS replied to Mylittlelucy's response:
To My little Lucy...thanks for the reply. My dog Boo Boo is doing better...I have washed him a number of times already and that is helping. His personality is changed although some of his old self is coming back. I pray for him to not be suffering and hopefully back to himself soon.

Most of the time I buy through 1-800 PetMeds ....but because I was down in supply in both Heartguard and Frontline...I went to the Vet. who had changed the topicl medicine they sell. They stated this was a better product and they no longer sell Frontline.

BVSBVS replied to Mylittlelucy's response:
BTW I hope your little baby Lucy is better and has fully recovered.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections