Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Overweight cat
clevesque24 posted:
So my cat is very overweight, he weighs in at 24 lbs. I have two and I only feed each of them 1/2 a cup of food a day and neither will lose weight (she is overweight too but not nearly as bad). Am I still feeding them to much?? Would love a couple of replies. I dont know what to do.....

Violets_are_Blue responded:
Could someone else possibly be feeding them? Does the 1/2 cup include treats? Are you using a standard measuring cup (cooking one)? Have you ruled out any diseases that could possibly cause weight gain (low thyroid, Cushing's, etc.)?

If you are certain you are the only one feeding them, you are not giving any treats out, you are using a standard measuring cup, and a medical problem has been ruled out then yes, you are. Best thing to start with is more exercise. The easiest way is to make them work for their food. They have little kitty puzzles that dispense food and, instead of feeding them some in a bowl, put some in it and let them work for it. You could also hide food in the house and make them hunt for it as well. Get them excited for meal time. Try finding toys that they like to chase and set a time for play. Don't overdo it at first

See if the bag of food you are feeding has calories listed. General rule for an average active cat is 25 calories per pound of body weight a day. Calculate how much you're feeding and compare it to the amount of calories a cat his size should weigh (this can be best evaluated by your veterinarian as each cat has a different build). You don't want to cut calories too fast or you'll upset them both and may make them lose weight too fast. A pound a month for your big one is a good start. It doesn't sound like much but it's nearly 5% of his body weight gone which is quite a bit for anyone.

If you haven't already, try setting up at least 3 meals a day in separate bowls. You can monitor how much they are actually eating and see any changes to appetite quickly. The 3 meals also help keep their blood sugar levels stable since cats are known for eating periodically throughout the day.

You may want to get a postal scale to monitor and track their progress, especially if they hate the vet. That way you can weigh in your home every week and keep track of their weekly weights to see any changes.

Getting the pounds off will be hard but if you want to make sure they live a longer life, it's the best way. Good luck!

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
You can't really feed them less food because they won't get enough nutrients. There are very low calorie diets available, but these are only by prescription. The best diet can be prescribed by your veterinarian, who knows your cats and can monitor their progress. My compliments to you that you know your cats have a serious health problem and are trying to do something about it!

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

clevesque24 replied to Violets_are_Blue's response:
Thank you for all of your information. The 1/2 a cup is measured, and they eat it throughout the day, the do not gorge themselves. They actually do not like treats and they do not get human food. The only "treat" I give them (which my mother started with them" is giving them each an 1/8 of a can of cat wet cat food in the morning. I have cut them back to every other morning. I would stop completely but feel bad that they do not eat anything else besides their dry cat food (it must get boring eating it all the time!) lol My next move is definitely taking him to the Vet. I noticed that over the past couple of days he has been drinking more water than usual. I am not sure if it was the weather or a sign of something more serious, so the Vet is my best bet I'm sure. Again, thank you for you information and support!

clevesque24 replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
I did not think that feeding them less food was going to be the answer, so thank you very much for confirming that for me! He is a big cat to begin with (he stands tall and is very long) but he wheezes as well. It scares me because they are like my children and I want them around for a long time. Thank you for acknowledging my try in getting my cats healthier! Thank you for your reply!

Lumesser replied to clevesque24's response:
If your cat is drinking more water and peeing more they should be checked for diabetes. I have a 7 year old female and I noticed she was using the litter box she would start to raise her butt up and end up peeing outside the box. She didn't seem to have energy and that she was drinking quite a bit of water. So please bring your baby to the vets for a physical. Good luck.

kevinbrown890 responded:
Increase the exercise to lose weight , There are plenty of interactive toys available in the market which will encourage your cat to exercise. with the help of this your cat will lose weight quickly.
_______
animal clinic dallas

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections