Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Help! My cat can't walk!!
neenerbug posted:
I moved out of my house roughly 2 weeks ago, having to leave behind my 3 cats- but checking up on them daily. About a week into it, I noticed they weren't going through their food like usual, so I quickly gathered them up and brought them with me. They had a few fleas so I stopped by the vet, but they didn't have "just flea medicine". I was given Revolution (selamectin) which treats fleas, heartworm, hookworms, roundworm, and ear mites, for 5.1 - 15 lb cats.
About 2 days after giving this to my cat (6 years old & 12 lbs), one night I noticed she was meowing weird. After a few minutes of this I realized she couldn't walk- she was wobbly, mainly loss of control of her back legs, and she kept collapsing. I tried to put her on her feet to see it again, but she arched her back and I think had a seizure, then she threw up a little. The seizing lasted about 30-45 seconds, but she couldn't walk for about 5 minutes. I layed with her, petting her to calm her down, but she just stared at the wall with huge eyes, unaware of her surroundings. At this time I realized I couldn't remember the last time I saw her eat. I keep the food on a table because I have a dog, so I thought she might be too weak to jump. I moved it lower, but all she was interested in was water. I later made her a bowl of wet food, which then sparked her appetite, and she's eating fine now.
I thought this was just a reaction to the medicine because after that spell, she was fine.
About 5 days later (tonight) she started having trouble walking again. She wasn't meowing this time, and almost didn't seem to mind the fact because I was petting her to console her and she was just purring away. I had my hand under her belly, she was leaning hard to the side and if I let her go she would stumble into a table or wall, then collapse over. But then it just went away as quickly as it came on. She's acting normal otherwise.
But, the longer I think about it, I haven't directly seen her use the litter box. I see her eat and drink regularly, but with 2 other cats, all I see is that someone is using the box.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
If you haven't taken your cat to your veterinarian by now, it's time to go. It may be that your cat is having seizures or possibly there's something wrong with her spinal cord, heart, etc. You need to find out right away.

Seizures mean something is affecting her brain. This could be something wrong with her brain itself (like a brain tumor) but it's more likely there's something else that is affecting her brain as a symptom (like hypertension, liver disease, etc.) In any event, she needs to see your veterinarian ASAP.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections