Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Dog Anxiety
Amy3125 posted:
My 3-year-old beagle/lab/blue heeler/who knows mix, Stella, broke her leg when she was 3 months old. Ever since, she has been jumpy and gets nervous very easily, mostly when she's away from home/me. When I go out of town, I am lucky enough to not have to board her with a stranger; she either goes to my parents' house (where we lived for a while when she was younger, and where she is very comfortable), or to my sister's house (with her litter mate brother).

My sister and her dogs recently moved into a new house, and Stella is especially nervous staying there. The last time she did, she did not sleep and paced around the house, barking at every small noise she heard all night (including the central air kicking on and off).

I am going out of town for two nights in a few weeks, and she is going to stay at my sister's while I'm gone. For both her sake and theirs, I would like to try and give her something to calm her down so she won't be so anxious and everyone can sleep. She does not act like this at my house, so this would not be something that only needs to be given on a regular basis.

I have read that some vets will give dogs Alprazolam (Xanax) for anxiety, which is what I also take. Has anyone ever given this to their dogs, and if so, what is the dosage on it? Stella weighs around 80 lbs. and my pills are 0.5mg, which is the next to lowest strength.

If it is safe to give them to a dog, that would save me a trip to the vet and some money since I already have them and could easily leave them with my sister while I'm gone. I am absolutely going to call the vet on Tuesday and double check with him before I would even consider giving them to her; I was just wondering what other people had done for their dogs with anxiety issues.

Thanks so much!

PeterHilsten responded:
Hey
I also had similar symptoms with my 1 year old Pomeranian pup,
he used to get stressed when ever we left him home alone. Started from barking and weeping, running back an forth, destructive behavior aswell as shaking.

we tried a lot of different things, my wife also bough him one of those thunder jackets, but it wasn't much help. I decided to try the practical way and i did some research on the net. an i found very useful tips an info. it had plenty of useful methods to cure dog separation anxiety. http://dogseparationanxiety.com.au/ Hope this helps as it did for our family

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections