Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Discontinuation of A.R.Vaccine (dogs)
An_247506 posted:
What happens if we discontinue A.R.Vaccine after first shot given at 20 months of age for dogs?
Breed: Spitz

srstephanie responded:
Hi An_247506,

Forgive my ignorance, what is "A.R."? I thought I was familiar with all the canine vaccines but can't figure out which one you are talking about. I'm not a vet but have listened to many talks on vaccinology given at veterinary continuing education conferences by some of the top experts and researchers. I've become friends with Dr Richard Ford of NC State (emeritus) who is an infectious disease and vaccinology expert and a co-author of the AAHA Canine Vaccination Guidelines which were just updated last September.

The Core vaccines include: Distemper, Adenovirus-2, Parvovirus-2 and Rabies. Is the "A" you mention for Adenovirus-2? It is usually given as a combination vaccine with Distemper and Parvo.

Non-Core vaccines include: Parainfluenza, Bordetella, Canine Influenza virus, Lyme disease and Leptospirosis

Not Recommended: Coronavirus

Not classified: Crotalus atrox (because it has a conditional licensure) and the Canine Melanoma vaccine (because it is used to TREAT melanoma, not prevent it)

Besides Adenovirus-2, the only vaccine that starts with an "A" is Crotalus atrox (against the venum of the Western Diamondback rattlesnake).

If by the "R" you mean Rabies ... you have to follow your local legal requirements. If you do not booster according to local laws, your dog would be considered unvaccinated. If it then bit someone, it would either be quarantined (I think anywhere from a few weeks to a few months), or, if there is an immediate need to know the Rabies status, the dog could be killed to check for Rabies. When giving Rabies vaccines, you must go by the duration of immunity that is on the label of the vaccine you use ... either 1-year or 3-years.

For the other vaccines, the duration of immunity and booster intervals generally depend on whether the vaccine is "infectious" (including Modified Live and Vectored Recombinant vaccines) or "non-infectious (Killed Virus/inactivated).

All the Core vaccines (Distemper, Adenovirus-2, Parvovirus) are Modified Live Virus (MLV) vaccines with the addition of one Recombinant (R) Distemper vaccine.

All Rabies vaccines for dogs are Killed Virus (KV).

After all that ... the general recommendations of the 2011 AAHA Canine Vaccination Guidelines, is that when the initial vaccination is given to a dog over 4 months of age (16 weeks):

MLV & Recombinant: One initial dose is all that is needed (though many vets still prefer to give two initial doses). For the Core vaccines, boosters are recommended every "3 or more" years. For any Intranasal vaccines, after the initial single dose, boosters should be given annually (e.g., Bordetella, Parainfluenza)

Killed/Inactivated: TWO initial doses are needed (e.g. Lyme, Lepto, Canine Influenza). The second dose MUST be given 2-4 weeks after the initial dose. If the second dose isn't given, the dog may not be immunized. The exception is Rabies for which a single initial dose is sufficient ... however, an initial Rabies booster MUST be given within 1 year after the initial dose (even if the initial dose was with a 3-yr Rabies vaccine), then future boosters are given according to the vaccine label (1yr or 3yrs).

I'm not sure what vaccine you mean by the "A.R." vaccine. If you mean Rabies, then you are taking a significant risk by not giving boosters, both in terms of protecting your dog, and also putting the dog's life at risk if he/she bites someone. For the other vaccines, there is no legal danger but if you do not booster as recommended, then your dog may not be protected from disease.

Hope that helps.

Stephanie in Montreal

An_247506 replied to srstephanie's response:
A.R. Vaccine means Anti-Rabies vaccine

Thank You Very Much..........

for your information. It is helpful...........

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections