Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Angry Pet
An_247631 posted:
My cat who is a 1.5 years old has recently started peeing in our hallway for no reason, but it only happens when I'm home. I have seen her use the litter box, but this only started happening since I gave her a bath a few weeks ago for fleas. My husband got after her last night for of coarse peeing in the hallway (I had been away at work all day and she did nothing until I got home), while I was getting ready for work this morning she started to pee on my husbands jean which were laying in the floor. What can I do??

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Take her to your veterinarian right away. While this may be a behavioral problem, she may also have a medical one such as a urinary tract disease. Common symptoms include frequent urination, sometimes vocalizing in the litterbox, and urinating outside the litterbox.

A simple urinalysis will tell you if it's medical or behavioral. If her urinalysis is normal, it's probably behavioral. If so, try using a pheromone diffuser (your veterinarian will know what to use) but if this doesn't work after a few weeks, you may need the services of a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections