Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Shih Tzu Sreaming at Night.
An_247676 posted:
I have a a 1.5 year old Shih Tzu, who usually sleeps fine at night, has had two episodes when he has woken us up. He was screaming (not crying or yelping, but screaming). We wake him up and realized he has peed the bed. He didn't get up and pee, but way laying down, so in a sense he peed himself. It is quite a terrifying sound he his making. The first time it happened I thought my husband may have rolled up on him, but he wasn't hurt, and usually if someone steps on him or gets hurt its just a quick yelp. This sound is quite different. The second time it happened, we weren't close to him. Is he dreaming or is this someone more serious? Does any know what this could be?

shash41 responded:
My 12 year old shih tzu screams throws her head back now she is panting , she used to do this once in a while now she has been doing this all night and day she will not sleep i brought her to the vet he gave me a script to calm her down has not kicked in yet she is not sleeping and has had a few episodes i am at wits end i do not know know what else to do, she is so sweet and normally very healthy, no stress to speak of for her, she has her mother shih tzu , my husbands works at home she should not have any fears.

sweetpup123 replied to shash41's response:
Wow, I did not think I would find anyone that had a shih tzu with the same problem. I have a 13 year old male shih tzu who still acts like a puppy. He is very active and healthy. But about a year ago he started yelping in the middle of the night and pees right after. This happened about once every 3 months, and now its about once every month. The cry he makes the worst sound anyone could imagine. I know he is NOT dreaming. I have seen him dreaming and not the same. He always sleeps at the foot of my bed and now on a chucks pad covered by a big towel. He just did this the night before last. I started to pet him and he did not wake up at first, but he is fine right after like nothing ever happened. I change the chucks and towel and he goes right back to sleep. I mentioned this to the clerk at his vet while picking him up from a grooming visit about 3 mo ago, but they had not heard of this. I feel this may be seizure related while asleep. Have never seen him do it during the day, but we are at work most of the time. Does anyone have any answers what could be causing this? We are scheduled for a grooming and shot visit again soon and will tell them about it.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections