Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Dog allergies to topical flea and tick medications
EllieMaeM posted:
I, and many other pet owners are reporting horrible problems with Frontline Plus. Frontline is an excellent product IF your dog is not allergic to the Fipronil, the ingredient that makes it work so well. There are over 775 posts on Amazon relating stories of the horrible side affects. My dog died because I was not aware he was suffering from one, only one, application of Frontline Plus. Many other people are reporting seizures, convulsions, horrible eye problems (which left untreated would lead to blindness) and lastly death. I, and many others, have contacted the manufacturer of Frontline Plus but to no avail. And when we take our pets to the vet they say they have no idea what could be wrong. However, the information posted simply says wash Frontline Plus off with Dawn blue dish soap and that works because Dawn cuts the oil and rids the dog of the Frontline Plus. I am concerned for a couple of reasons. (1) Why doesn't the manufacturer warn people their pets may be allergic to their product? And (2) Why doesn't the manufacturer let vets know there could be a problem. Is the manufacturer simply in business to make money no matter what the cost? And, is there anyone out there who truly cares for dogs and cats or is everything just simply 'lip service'?
I warn everyone I meet about Frontline Plus and my friends, who know what happened to my dog, do the same.
I also email posts on the Amazon site to friends so they will see what horrible problems others are having with Frontline Plus in hopes of saving a pet from pain.
Again, I know Frontline Plus is not horrible for all dogs and cats and know many, many people who use it with no issues what so ever. However, if the pet is allergic there are serious issues.
I post on Amazon and tell everyone it's like peanuts. Some people eat them, love them and feel fine. Other people get sick and even die. The problem is companies handling peanuts post a warning on their product, Frontline Plus does nothing.

Take the Poll

Has anyone applying Frontline Plus to their pet had an adverse reaction?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections